Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! The Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) is seeking Communications Specialist I to be a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine Rec Centers, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level.
Creates graphic design projects in a fast-paced environment. Candidates working in the FCPA Creative Services Department should be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite on the MAC, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop , and Acrobat. With minimal supervision, this individual will design and produce print-ready promotional materials including Parktakes magazine, agency reports, brochures, posters, flyers, ads, banners, and signs as well as graphics for the web and social media. Candidates need to be able to work with outside vendors and oversee the production of print materials. You must have some knowledge working with the MS Office Suite.
The areas of specialization are web design, photography, and videography. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Implements photographic coverage of events;
- Makes presentations on behalf of the department to community and by County officials;
- Implements event and meetings;
- Writes proposals in support of departmental goals and projects;
- Produces multimedia productions to support the goals of the department (multimedia may include audio, video or online productions);
- Implements print production projects;
- Serves as a member of the department's communication planning (strategic planning, action planning) team;
- Makes public presentations on behalf of department;
- Responds to requests for information regarding agency/County programs;
- Provides assistance to agency/County staff as to the most effective means of communicating information to the general public, government employees, and other target groups;
- May supervise the work of administrative or paraprofessional staff in bringing projects to completion.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Ability to write, edit and design for departmental publications;
- Ability to write for multimedia;
- Knowledge of photography and planning photography coverage;
- Knowledge of appropriate standards and formatting for online media;
- Ability to use current computer software and e-mail systems;
- Ability to develop or create web sites;
- Ability to consult with management and other staff;
- Ability to solve problems;
- Ability to supervise projects;
- Ability to manage a budget;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to adapt broadly defined policy guidance to specific situations with a minimal amount of supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to participate in meaningful interchange of views on matters of critical importance to the County;
- Ability to plan and review the work of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press, and County employees.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Bachelor's degree in communication, business administration or a related field, plus three years of progressively responsible experience in communication area of specialization.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
The candidate should be proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite-InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat. Ideal candidates should be able to proofread and write copy and manage competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to take photos as a backup photographer for the department. Video experience is a plus. Some evening and weekend work may be required. CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Driver's license (required)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to lift 10 lbs. Ability to operate computers; operate vehicles. Sedentary with walking. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodation.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov