Do you enjoy serving at the executive leadership capacity? Are you a dynamic leader who has successfully led a team of engineering/management professionals?
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (METRO) is seeking a Deputy Chief Mechanical Officer to lead the Vehicle Engineering Services group which consists of high-functioning electrical and mechanical engineers/management staff. The Deputy Chief will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of railcars and associated systems to ensure reliability and availability of the fleet and maintain a state of good repair. Reporting to the VP & Chief Mechanical Officer, the successful candidate will ensure the mission and the vision are carried out and capital initiatives are met. Minimum Qualifications: Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or a related field
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience without a Professional Engineering (PE) license OR ten (10) years of experience with a Professional Engineering (PE) license in railcar engineering and design, project management and other applicable industry experience (such as electrical or mechanical engineering), to include at least five (5) years of management supervisory experience.
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensure
- Project Manager Professional (PMP) licensure
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Job Summary:
The Deputy Chief Mechanical Officer (DCMO) is responsible for the reliability and availability of the railcar fleet which includes reliability centered maintenance support, shop planning, overhaul/MRO shop support, maintenance instruction manuals, incident investigations, strategic reliability projects, capital initiatives, and staffing of the office. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Oversees the Office of Vehicle Program Services staff in all tasks required for effective and efficient operation and maintenance of railcars and their associated systems (e.g. automatic train control, communications, power) to ensure reliability and availability of the fleet meets standards.
- Assists in the planning, development and monitoring of preventative maintenance, component overhaul and rehabilitation programs to ensure that the railcar fleet is maintained to the highest operating standards and in accordance with applicable codes.
- Directs, oversees, and monitors engineering and other capital activities of consultants to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications, timetables, budget and other conditions.
- Develops scheduling and control procedures for railcar maintenance.
- Manages railcar vehicles and support equipment capital program budgets and provides oversight in the planning, coordination and implementation of policies, procedures and programs pertinent to the timely design and implementation of all the Authority's rail vehicle service program capital projects.
- Develops, reviews, and approves technical engineering and quality assurance designs, specifications, and change orders related to railcars and their associated systems. Directs employees and contractors in inspections, and project evaluation activities to ensure achievement of technical requirements.
- Serves as point of contact for rail vehicle and equipment accident and incident investigations. This would include final reports and corrective action plans if needed to address proven cause of findings and determinations.
- Presents oral and written reports and recommendations to the Board of Directors, General Manager/Chief Executive Officer (GM/CEO), and Rail Services management on within the areas of assigned responsibility as may be appropriate.
- Oversees the preparation and subsequent monitoring of the budget and provides oversight for the preparation of clear, technically sound, accurate and informative statistical, financial, progress and other reports.
- Establishes and maintains responsive and cooperative relationships with internal support services and builds effective relationships with other groups throughout the organization.
- Manages, supervises and evaluates assigned personnel to include applicant selection, disciplinary actions, and resolution of grievances.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the work plan for assigned staff; assigns work activities, projects and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of employees and that hazards in the work environment are corrected promptly.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Advises Rail Services management on matters which may have an adverse impact on rail operations and formulates suitable recommendations to unique situations and problems that arise.
- Ensures entry level and reoccurring training is delivered to provide employees the skills required for technical excellence.
- In accordance with financial guidelines, monitors expenditures to assure budgetary controls and efficient operation.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer service improvements and meeting the Authority's vision.
- Develops, recommends, and implements strategic business plans and processes
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate standards of behavior are maintained in the workplace to prevent unlawful discrimination in any form and for taking necessary action to identify and address any issues promptly
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.