RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will install transformers, capacitors, insulators, lightening arrestors, switch circuit breakers, fuses, meters, protective devices, and other equipment for main distribution lines over 600V.
- You will install, modify, and replace generation and distribution equipment in substations, power-generating facilities, transformer vaults, and/or distribution centers.
- You will service circuit elements found in substations and/or power-generating facilities, as well as the electrical portions of generators, located above ground and underground.
- You will troubleshoot distribution circuits and generating and controlling equipment to locate and correct the causes of outages and improper operation.
- You will make emergency cutouts and substitutions of power line.
- You will check condition of transformers, switches, and cable.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current Commercial Driver's license
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination, and annually thereafter.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
The Screen-out Element for this position is: The ability to perform the duties of a High Voltage Electrician WG-2810-10 without more than normal supervision as demonstrated by the following: (1) Following instructions to repair high voltage electrical power-generating and distribution equipment (e.g., generators, transformers, switches, circuit breakers, recording instruments, and control systems); 2) Reading circuit drawings and diagrams to identify electrical problems; 3) Using safety equipment such as hot line tools and protective equipment when working on energized high voltage electrical systems.). **NOTE: This experience must be fully and clearly supported in your resume.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This announcement uses the Defense Industrial Base, Major Range and Test Facilities direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees. A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position requires shift work, overtime, and is subject to "call back". This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled. Vacancies filled from this announcement may be filled at any location listed.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.