Minimum Qualifications Education
A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field. Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of track design experience or track maintenance engineering experience in support of an operating railroad, heavy rail transit, or light rail organization
- A passing grade on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination
- A valid driver's license from Jurisdiction of residence
- RWP, Level 2 training within 90 days of hire and maintain for the duration while in job
- A Professional Engineering (PE) license
- Ability to use Microsoft Suite such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Familiar with Computer Aided Design Software
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Job Summary
The Track Engineer is a professional track engineering position which requires periodic to extensive work in the field working alongside WMATA's track maintenance crews multiple engineering disciplines (Civil, Traction Power, Automatic Train Control, Construction, Rail Car) and engineering consultants. The position is primarily focused on technical standards are up to date and upheld as part of capital and maintenance work, as well as assisting on studies to solve maintenance, rehabilitation, and construction problems. This position will support more senior track engineers in the achievement of this critical goal. Essential Functions
OTHER FUNCTIONS The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Maintains and executes WMATA's Rail Stress Management Program in accordance with WMATA's Heat Countermeasure Program with some supervision
- Supports the refinement and execution of WMATA's Rail and Wheel Interface Program through coordination with Vehicle Engineering and the Track Maintenance Department
- Utilizes WMATA's linear asset management software tools to identify maintenance needs and executes long range planning to ensure WMATA maintains all track components to a state of good repair
- Updates and maintains WMATA's standard track drawings, specifications, maintenance manuals, and design criteria.
- Serves as the leader of a multi-disciplined team, investigates operating track problems, both in the field and in an office environment, prepares reports to describe findings, and supports the analysis efforts to develop a cost-effective engineering solution
- Performs assessments, planning, directing, conducting, and reviewing track engineering analyses
- Performs track inspections to assess/develop corrective actions and to ensure work conforms to proposed plans and specifications
- Ensures technical decisions and recommendations used to implement action are concise, factual, and attainable
- Develops assigned project scopes based on desired results, established standards, and in accordance with engineering requirements
- Tracks and provides major milestone updates throughout the project construction schedule, final inspection, and resolves any issues that impact meeting projects commitments
- Develops acceptable and achievable project schedules based on the input from stakeholders
- Manages the execution of EMI, and technical studies, and reviews the work of staff augmentation staff conducting similar types of work.
- Ensures all recommendations are in compliance with appropriate Authority, state, and local laws and codes as they apply to track and safety
- Prepares briefings to explain technical challenges to management staff with limited guidance from more senior track engineers
- Partners and conducts market research with transit industry suppliers to stay abreast of evolving technologies and draw conclusions as to the applicability of these technologies to the WMATA operating track environment
- Provides technical guidance and support to capital projects that require track engineering expertise
- Manages all project scopes of work, milestones/schedules, and budgets from planning through construction to ensure the best products and provides technical support
- Collects track condition information and performs in-depth analysis to determine approximate cause as a member of the WMATA Derailment Investigation team
- Presents and exchanges information and recommendations, coordinates projects, and discusses equipment requirements
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.