MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical), Architecture,Construction Management, Project management, Planning or a related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree, a High School Diploma and four (4) years of experience in engineering, design, planning, architecture, or construction project management, in addition to the experience stated below, will be considered
- A minimum of eight (8) years demonstrated progressively responsible experience, preferably in the transit or rail industry; and/or effectively negotiating with outside contractors/consultants; and/or supervising a professional engineering, trade staff (e.g. electrics, mechanics, technicians, welders, or similar), and other technical staff.
- Valid Driver's License
- Roadway Worker Protection (RWP) Certification, Level 2, within six (6) months of hire
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Planning or a related field.
Ability to complete satisfactorily the medical examination for this job. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodation(s). SUMMARY
The Assistant Project Manager manages/supervises work for one or more assigned project(s). The incumbent assists in the planning, scheduling and controlling of preliminary and final designs, construction, equipment procurement, and operational planning for major construction projects within and/or impacting the Authority. The incumbent supervises and coordinates the inspection and technical work performance of professional and technical staff. The incumbent works under limited supervision following Authority policies, departmental guidelines and procedures and referring exceptions to the Project Manager, or higher management authority. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The functions listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Coordinates the review of scope of work for final designs prepared by GeneralConsultants; prepares independent cost estimates for the final design effort andnegotiates contacts with General Consultants to perform the final design.
- Directs and controls the consultants during the design and planning phases of aconstruction project by reviewing and analyzing designs, drawings, life-cycle costs andspecifications. Controls and coordinates technical reviews of shop and working drawingsfor projects. Confers periodically with contractors, consultants and Authority officialsconcerning construction plans, specifications, costs, unusual conditions, and work coordination.
- Analyzes design and construction change orders, claims and supplemental agreements; assists in negotiating changes with the section design consultants and contractors. Recommends appropriate changes in contractor schedules to ensure completion of the project within time constraints and reviews and recommends variations from plans and specifications. Prepares activity reports to describe the changes to the project.
- Develops or obtains engineering and administrative data necessary for the planning, scheduling, and control of the project. Controls design costs and schedules for assigned sections.
- Secures approvals from Authority operating department on final design as well as construction contract documents; schedules presentations for the consultants to brief Authority operating department at the preliminary, intermediate, and final submittals of the final design; and obtains operating department's approval of the construction contract documents prior to advertisement of contract.
- Makes timely field inspections to ensure effective performance of construction activities and conformance with plans and specifications. Investigates and analyzes field, cost, reliability, and safety problems. Develops and implements engineering solutions to the problems identified.
- Reviews and updates construction records and reports periodically to ensure effective control of project information. Reviews, analyzes and prepares the documentation required for staff summaries.
- Supervises subordinate staff to include recommending applicant selection, disciplinary actions, resolution of grievances, assigning duties, directing work, approving leave requests and timesheets, and ensuring appropriate subordinate training is provided. Maintains sound employee/union relations while upholding the rights and interests of management.
- Establishes work plans for subordinates against which they will be measured and conducts performance evaluations of subordinates based upon these work plans.
- Attends or conducts meetings including construction coordination meetings to ensure effective project control.
- Prepares project-related correspondence to consultants, contractors, other Authority departments and outside agencies to ensure proper documentation for major capital projects.
- Prepares timely and accurate budget information for procurement actions.
- Assumes the duties of Project Manager as required to ensure project management and leadership for major capital projects.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.