Job Opening Statement THIS JOB OPENING IS BEING USED TO FILL CURRENT AND FUTURE VACANT POSITIONS IN THIS CLASSIFICATION AT VARIOUS SHIFTS, LOCATIONS AND ASSIGNED DAYS OFF. ORDER OF PREFERENCE: The selection for Maintenance and Construction is made on the basis of fitness and ability with preference given to: Maintenance and Construction District, System-Wide (L922), Authority-Wide and external candidates, respectively. Minimum Qualifications Education
Experience Twelve (12) months following the achievement of a particular grade level (i.e. Grades E, D, C, B, A and AA), an incumbent may be advanced to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed any required written or practical tests, acquired any required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and job performance requirements.
- High School Diploma or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Vocational or technical training in auto/diesel maintenance and/or Level E experience
- The following can be substituted for:
- One (1) year full time work experience at ALL levels;
- Three (3) years high school mechanical training; OR
- Two (2) years tech school mechanical training; OR
- Four (4) years college mechanical apprenticeship training
- Level E
- One (1) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field. This is an Entry Level
- Level D
- Two (2) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field
- Level C
- Three (3) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field
- Level B
- Four (4) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field
- Level A
- Five (5) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field
- Level AA
- Six (6) or more years satisfactorily performing the duties of a Garage Fleet Servicer, or related field
- Level C
- Must have WMATA specific safety certifications, and not limited to basic mechanical orientation, for lift operation, steam cleaning, and tire changing)
- Level B
- Must have WMATA specific safety certifications, and not limited to basic mechanical orientation, for lift operation, steam cleaning, and tire changing, pneumatics & brakes)
- Levels A & AA
- Must have WMATA specific safety certifications, and not limited to basic mechanical orientation, for lift operation, steam cleaning, and tire changing, pneumatics & brakes, electrical & Charging)
Intra State Commercial Driver's License with Passenger, Air Brakes, and Two Truck operations endorsements is accepted with the provisional appointment valid until age 21 residence
Preferred Medical Group
- Level D only
- Valid Class B Commercial Drivers (CDL) from jurisdiction of residence is required prior to appointment with applicable endorsements from jurisdiction of residence
- Levels C, B, A & AA
- Valid Class A Commercial Drivers (CDL) from jurisdiction of residence with Tow Truck Operation, Hazardous Materials, and Tanker endorsements from jurisdiction of residence
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Garage Fleet Servicer performs basic to complex maintenance on vehicles, troubleshoots when necessary, and makes repairs. overhaul buses to include both heavy and light vehicles to identify specific requirements. Incumbent carries assignments through to completion and makes most work decisions within scope and refers technical policy or procedural questions to a Lead Mechanic or Supervisor for final decision or clarification. Job Levels
: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades E, D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description Essential Functions
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Monitors and bumps tires daily. Assists in scheduling replacement and re-grooving of tires as necessary.
- Performs steam cleaning and pressure washing parts, units, and transit vehicle engines and components.
- Performs vehicle lubrication tasks including fluid and filter changes. Starts vehicles and performs service lane functions.
- Prepares maintenance activity and related reports as required.
- Assists in identification of faulty equipment revealed by abnormal wear patterns. Steam cleans and pressure washes parts, units, and transit vehicle engines and components.
- Performs battery maintenance functions daily, and repairs lights, wipers, and seats.
- Operates various types of vehicles in WMATA's fleet.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.