General Hybrid Work Statement:
This opportunity is a hybrid opportunity allowing for flexibility between virtual and in-person work subject to the Authority's telework policy. MARKETING STATEMENT:
Safety Promotions Program Manager is a role at the heart of our dynamic corporate Safety team at the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. The incumbent is responsible for the design, creation, delivery and effectiveness of all safety-related communications and training for 14,000 employees and contractors across the agency. The strategic goal of the position and team is to implement a modern, industry-leading Safety Management System that systematically improves how staff identify, assess and manage safety risks. Reporting to the Director of Policy and Promotion, we're looking for someone special with the experience and skills to: draft operations-minded staff communications; craft clear and concise bulletins to efficiently transmit safety-critical Information; design training curricula that engage and inspire a diverse workforce from mechanics to engineers, from bus operators to executives; and display strong emotional intelligence to partner with colleagues to build lasting relationships that ultimately changes Safety behaviors and culture across the agency. Coming from the Safety world is preferred but certainly not required. Apply now and be a part of changing the culture at Metro! MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education
- Bachelor's degree in Project Management, Technical Management, Business Management, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant experience in Project Management, Technical Management, Business Management, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- MBA or MS in Project Management, Technical Management, Marketing or Communications
- Prior experience in transportation industries or a comparable relevant operational environment
- Experience with Confidential Close Call Reporting Systems such as C3RS, ASIAS, ASRS is considered a plus
The Safety Promotions Program Manager is responsible for managing Metro's internal and external Voluntary Safety Reporting Programs. This includes managing the cost, schedule, and performance of the Confidential Close Call Reporting System (C3RS), facilitating the executive steering committee, and leading Peer Review Teams (PRTs) in the investigation of reported incidents. The incumbent will design and continuously improve voluntary reporting processes/tools and establish metrics to measure the program's effectiveness. Administering these programs also includes actively promoting the safety reporting mechanisms available to employees, capturing employee safety reports, analyzing report data, coordinating with the affected parties, tracking the actions taken in response, and communicating progress and results. Additionally, the Safety Promotions Program Manager is responsible for strategically crafting employee training, knowledge sharing, and other content required to support the promotion of Metro's Safety Management System (SMS). The accountability includes helping employees understand their role in Metro's SMS, the processes and tools available to them, and where to go when they have a safety question or concern. The incumbent manages the Safety page of Metro's intranet to include organizing the content with end-user interface and end-user experience in mind and actively maintaining the content to ensure the latest information is always made available. The Safety Promotions Program Manager contributes to special initiatives, such as recognition events, awareness campaigns, and other activities designed to advance Metro's safety culture. Direct experience managing C3RS or comparable programs, such as the Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing (ASIAS) System or Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) considered a plus. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Manages Metro's Voluntary Safety Reporting Programs to ensure that employee safety questions are answered, and safety concerns are addressed.
- Manages the Confidential Close Call Reporting System to include activities related to the planning, design, implementation tracking and reporting phases of defined projects. Maintains cost controls for all project-related activities in strict adherence to the approved project budget.
- Maintains Safety's webpage on Metro's intranet to ensure the organization is end-user friendly with information that is current and easily accessible.
- Contributes to the success of Recognition Events (such as Metro Awards), awareness campaigns, and other initiatives designed to advance Metro's safety culture. Partners with Communications to consistently deliver relevant, meaningful Safety content through various vehicles such as email, newsletters, and social media.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.