Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Receives contaminated critical and semi-critical reusable medical devices (RMD) in the decontamination area
- Disassembles the RMD and determines manual and mechanical cleaning as determined by Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)/manufacturer instructions for use (IFU)
- Inspects, assembles according to the instrument count sheets and determines the correct method and packaging for sterilization or high-level disinfection, as determined by Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)/manufacturer instructions for use (IFU)
- Performs and documents daily operational checks and records for all processes and equipment
- Receives items and correctly organizes them on shelves, ensuring that rotation of stock using First In- First Out (FIFO) method
- Transport RMD as necessary
- Participates in Quality assurance and Process Improvement
: Various- to be determined
*Weekend Requirement: Weekend/Holiday call coverage* Telework
: Not Available Virtual:
This is not a virtual position. Functional Statement #
: Medical Supply Technician, Sterile Processing Services (SPS) GS-0622-06 Relocation/Recruitment Incentives
: Not Authorized Permanent Change of Station (PCS):
Not Authorized PCS Appraised Value Offer (AVO):
Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience. Six months of experience that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work or provides an understanding of the work; or
- Education. One year above high school that included at least 6 semester hours in health care related courses such as sterile processing, nursing assistant, hospital corpsman, and operating room and surgical technician courses or other courses related to the position; or
- Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
- English Language Proficiency. MSTs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005 chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
: One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level of GS-0622-05.The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS-06.In addition to the experience or education above, the candidate must demonstrate the KSAs below:
- Knowledge of universal precautions for safety and prevention of cross contamination.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in-writing.
- Basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of event-related packaging regarding sterility.
- Knowledge of sterilization and cleaning equipment.
- Knowledge of critical and semi-critical RME.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology, microbiology, medical conditions and procedures.
- Knowledge of sterility principles regarding instrumentation.
- Ability to read and interpret written instructions, procedures, and quality assurance results.
- Knowledge of but not to include but not limited to: automated endoscope reprocessor, steam sterilizers, low temperature sterilizers, ultrasonic cleaners, cart washers, peel pack machines, and washer disinfectants.
- Knowledge of assembling case carts and utilizes the procedure instrument list to supply case carts.
Endoscope experience preferredPreferred Education:
HSPA certification preferredReferences:
VA HANDBOOK 5005/83 PART II APPENDIX G47Physical Requirements:
This work is performed in various settings: decontamination, preparation, clean sterile Supply, and In other services throughout the medical facility that SPS supports. The incumbent may be required to work in areas that are hot, cold, drafty and poorly lighted. The employee is subject to the possibility of falls, scrapes, cuts, bruises, and other Injuries from material handling equipment. The work requires standing and walking during the entire workday and frequent bending and lifting of packages (occasionally weighing as much as 50 pounds). The work requires dexterity and visual acuity for manipulating, disassembly and assembly of instrumentation .
On a regular and recurring basis, the employee alternates between a contaminated environment and a carefully controlled clean environment. The employee wears special clothing, hair covers, personal protective equipment and shoe covers that can be uncomfortably warm. The employee uses insulated gloves to remove carts from sterilizers. The employee Is subject to burns from accidentally touching hot items. The hazards of working around minute quantities of sterilizing gasses are unknown. The employee often works around body fluids, mucous, excretions and bits of tissue, some of which may be foul smelling, Strong, unpleasant odors are encountered while decontaminating bloody or grossly contaminated instrumentation or reusable medical equipment. The work area is noisy due to the clatter of metal instruments, rumbling of carts and operation of pre" sterilizing equipment.EducationIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . Additional information
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. Selected applicants may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience or military service experience. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.