DutiesAs a Civil Engineer (Structural), you will
The ideal candidate
- Interpret and apply relevant structural codes and guidelines for design, construction, testing, and maintenance of structures, including seismic design and retrofit; determine structural design parameters; design approved structures using appropriate mathematical analysis for loading conditions.
- Develop Plans, Specifications & Estimates (PS&E) for bridges and other highway structures that comply with FLH Bridge Design Manual, AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, AASHTO Construction Specifications, and other appropriate standards and guidelines.
- Use MicroStation, Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD), and structural analysis computer programs/software to design structures.
- Use advanced analysis including concrete, steel and prestressed concrete design for both new construction and rehabilitation to address project needs.
- Use the most current technologies, standards, and practices in the development of projects.
- Provide technical assistance in the review of structures construction submittals or proposals, issue resolution, and field support.
for this position is a seasoned mid-career structural engineer with experience independently and effectively working in multi-disciplinary teams; providing bridge design services as well as developing or leading the development of Plans, Specifications, and Estimates packages; and using CADD and design software programs in detailing structures.RequirementsConditions of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- You must be a U.S. citizen & meet specialized experience to qualify
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Required documents must be submitted by the closing date.
- Direct Hire Authority will be used to fill this position
QualificationsTo meet the basic qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Mandatory Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of your transcripts or other applicable documentation for verification, AND (3) meet the specialized experience and/or education requirements for each grade. Please review the following information before proceeding with the application process:(1) All applicants must meet the education requirements under A or B, listed in the "Education Requirements' section, to qualify for applying to an engineering position.(2) Upload the appropriate document(s) to your application for verification purposes.
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Applicants may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: You will be required to complete a background/security investigation and meet preliminary requirements prior to onboarding.
- TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is approved for telework. The number of telework days approved is determined by the agency policy, the approval of your immediate supervisor, and if applicable, approval of additional officials. You are required to report to the office on a regular basis since this is not a full-time telework position or approved as a remote work position.
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within three months of the closing date of this announcement. If selected, the final transcript must be received before your start date. Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.(3) Specialized Experience:
To determine which grade(s) you may be eligible for, review the following grade specific details. You will be asked a few questions as part of your application but make sure to verify how you meet this experience in your resume or you may be deemed ineligible.
For the GS-11:
you must have at least one year of specialized experience, equal or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level,
- Experience equal or equivalent to providing engineering design support services to a project team in the development of structures or structural components for highway improvement projects such as culverts, bridge superstructures, bridge substructures, short single span bridges, and/or simple and continuous span bridges; AND
- Experience equal or equivalent to using design software programs to design bridges or structural components and Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software in detailing bridge structures for highway projects.
Or on Education,
you must have 3 years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
You can also have a combination
of graduate education and experience. This must be fully supported by your resume and transcripts, provided with your application.
For the GS-12:
you must have at least one year of specialized experience, equal or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level,
- Experience providing engineering design services, construction support, and technical assistance in the development of multi-span bridges that entail horizontal and vertical curvatures and skewed geometry for highway improvement projects (e.g. producing Plans, Specifications, and Estimates packages (PS&E) and layout drawings, reviewing contractor submittals, and resolving construction issues); AND
- Experience communicating and coordinating the design and detailing of bridge structure projects with internal teams; AND
- Experience using design software programs to analyze and design bridges and Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software in detailing structures.
You cannot substitute education for specialized experience at this grade level, you must have experience. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
Your qualifications will also be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: Civil Engineering - Knowledge of the concepts, principles, theories, and methods required to plan, design, construct, operate, and maintain facilities such as buildings, transportation systems, water and sanitary systems, and other public works systems. Bridge Design - Knowledge of the guidelines, regulations, and procedures associated
with managing the review oversight of bridge design programs, including application of compliance rules and criteria. Communications - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively. Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience. For all types of consideration,
experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.EducationA.
Successful completion of a degree in engineering that: (1) has at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); or (2) that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials; (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics;ORB.
Combination of education or training: college level education, training and/or technical experience that has furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: Professional registration or licensure - current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE). Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences which included the courses as specified in Paragraph A above. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. There should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. This must be clearly described in your resume.
For additional information, please refer to the OPM qualifications standard for GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf. Additional informationThis announcement may be used to fill additional positions if similar vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.Qualified CTAP/ICTAP candidates receive priority and will be referred to the hiring manager.