Position #: 106498
The Assistant Director is the primary backup for the Director of Enterprise Software Engineering (ESE). It is responsible for assisting the Director with strategic and operational planning, implementation oversight, and leadership within the department.
The Assistant Director provides technical program and personnel management oversight to the Software Infrastructure, Software Services, and Software Development groups. Tasks include the primary interface between ESE and other technical support and consumer groups within IT and throughout campus. These include Infrastructure Services Engineering, Platform Data and Application Administration, and University Decision Support within the Division of IT and IT units within the colleges to support Identity Management, Software Development Lifecycle, and general IT architectural guidance.
The Assistant Director directs all activities within the team, including project and program oversight, managing resources across activities to balance capability against shifting demands, mentoring and coaching staff for optimal performance, and acting as hiring manager for new and backfill recruiting. The Assistant Director also works closely with the Director of Enterprise Software Engineering for all technical, resource, and budget planning for the year.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
* At least seven (7) years of progressive experience in Information Technology, including at least five years of supervisory experience and hands-on system experience in an enterprise data networking infrastructure or application environment.
* Demonstrated experience with staff development and oversight
* Master’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or equivalent.
* Knowledge of the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC) with a preference for SCRUM and Agile methodologies
* Web Design and Development
* Experience with Data Analytics
* Experience with Mainframe Application
* Experience in Higher Education
* Experience with AWS and other cloud infrastructure
* Experience with Large Language Models and other techniques in Artificial Intelligence Infrastructure
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $175,000 to $193,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Employees will need to be able to sit for long periods to work on a computer and travel occasionally to meet with clients and customers on and off campus.
Best consideration date: 10/09/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/113923
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.