Are you passionate about getting people outside? Do you enjoy working with a diverse group of students? We’re looking for someone who has a desire to empower college students to be outdoor leaders and provide adventure experiences for the UMD community. Our trip types include, but are not limited to rock climbing, backpacking, caving, coastal kayaking, and so much more in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania’s outdoor spaces.
We are a fun and collaborative team! We strive to enrich the educational experience and encourage personal growth by inspiring the University community to be active and live well.
This position has a major responsibility to manage the RecWell Adventure Program’s Adventure Trips Program and summer camp. A breakdown of responsibilities include: Supervision & Training (50%), Administration & Planning for Adventure Trips & Clinics (30%), Administration & Planning for Camps (10%) other and related duties (10%). Some weekend and nights required. Estimated field days 28-30 days/year.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two (2) years of experience in a recreation setting.
- At least two (2) years of experience leading outdoor adventure trips.
- At least one (1) year of experience supervising and training others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Possess (or obtain within 3 months of start date) and maintain American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer / AED / First Aid certification.
- Possess (or obtain within 6 months of start date) and maintain American Red Cross Instructor certification.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with less than 6 points.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through programming, mentoring, or training.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience supervising college student personnel.
- Experience working in a collegiate or community recreation environment.
- Experience working in a camp environment.
- WFR (Wilderness First Responder) certification.
- ACA (American Canoe Association) certification or PCIA (Professional Climbing Instructors Association) certification.
- LNT (Leave No Trace) certification.