ORDER OF PREFERENCE: The selection for Maintenance and Construction is made on the basis of fitness and ability with preference given to: Maintenance and Construction District, System-Wide (L689), Authority-Wide and external candidates, respectively. Minimum Qualifications: Education
Experience Twelve (12) months following the achievement of a particular grade level (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), an incumbent may be advanced to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed any required written or practical tests, acquired any required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and job performance requirements.
- High school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate (GED).
- Level D
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience performing satisfactorily the duties of a professional mason, or related field
Preferred Medical Group:
- Valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from jurisdiction of residence
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation:
In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events. Job Summary:
The Mason performs construction, maintenance and repair masonry work throughout the Authority system. The employee is responsible for the repairing, altering and constructing exterior and interior surfaces and structures built of a variety of brick, block, concrete, stone and tile. Job Levels
: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description. "AA Lead" Level:
In addition to independently performing the most complex aspects of the duties and essential functions described, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring work responsibilities of a group or team are properly completed in a timely manner and acts in the absence of the supervisor as required. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Plans and lays out the maintenance, repair, alteration and construction of exterior and interior masonry surfaces.
- Lays common and face brick, fire brick, cinder block, cement block, glass block, terra-cotta, ceramic and quarry tile and various artificial and natural stone. Constructs and repairs walls, walks, chimneys, manholes, boilers, catch basins, etc. Mixes, pours, spreads, levels and finishes cement and concrete in the construction of surface and structures such as sidewalks, curbs, walls, stairs and ramps.
- Prepares sub-surfaces by leveling and tamping found and fill materials such as sand, dirt and gravel for the construction and repair of walls, walkways, patios, floors and foundations. Spreads concrete base and levels it.
- Assembles and lays out metal forms and fabricates wooden forms; selects and installs reinforcing steel or. Shapes and cuts brick, stone and tile in the construction or repair of corners, windows, doors, patios, floors and walkways.
- Re-points masonry joints to existing masonry structures.
- Lays out work assignments, determines methods, techniques and materials needed to effectively accomplish assignments.
- Completes the required forms, tags, and other documentation that describes maintenance work and enters data into computer records; prepares parts requisitions for the supervisor's approval in accordance with Authority and manufacturer standards.
- Performs assignments in accordance with established safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
- Attends and passes the required safety training classes and continuously learns industry best practices for working safely and efficiently.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Ensures safety requirements are met and exceeded by properly maintaining Authority equipment and environment.
- Supports emergency response by providing immediate maintenance to protect assets. Responds to and assists during severe weather emergencies.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.