The Post is looking for someone to join the editorial board and write unsigned editorials about U.S. domestic policy -- with a special focus on data journalism and an eye for highlighting solutions. The ideal candidate will be a skilled and experienced reporter; a fluid and succinct writer; and a strategic and analytic thinker. The ideal candidate also will enjoy working with colleagues, arguing civilly and building consensus. The job calls both for deadline writing and in-depth reporting.
The job includes the possibility of writing signed columns and presenting work on audio and video platforms. Depending on interest and experience, the job also could include or be a stepping-stone to an editing role. The job reports to Karen Tumulty, deputy opinion editor. Motivation
- You are drawn to complex topics and have a desire to present them in clear and accessible fashion to a broader audience.
- You believe persuasive arguments are built around detailed reporting.
- You are fascinated by the puzzle of modern publishing and are intrigued by the possibility of presenting work effectively on a range of different platforms.
- You enjoy working with a team and believe that a community of writers and editors, representing a range of views, has the potential to yield high-quality opinion journalism.
- You take pride in working with new and established writers and bringing out the best in their work.
- You appreciate that the editorial process is constantly evolving -- and that methods, techniques, subjects and strategies will always be changing.
- Aim to create definitive opinion coverage in your area.
- Develop ideas and publish the sharpest possible views in column and editorial form.
- 5+ years of experience reporting and writing on politics and policy.
- Experience covering political campaigns.
- Experience developing new editorial forms and publishing techniques.
- Experience with digital media.
- Strong presentation and writing skills.
- A collaborative spirit and ability to build strong partnerships across teams.
- Fluency in data journalism a plus
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status. The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow