Responsibilities & QualificationsRESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Veterans Administration's Enterprise System Engineering/Capacity Management for Telecommunications team.
- Serve as a member of a team that provides Enterprise level recommendations for LAN to VA senior leadership on enterprise communications.
- Provide Tier4 escalation support when issues arise, deployment support for new technologies or architectures.
- Make architecture recommendations to support the growing needs of the VA.
- Test the recommendations for enterprise compatibility in the state of the art network design lab
- Use existing Network Management tools to provide capacity management/utilization reports
- Provide on-call escalation support in the event that an issue arises that cannot be rectified by the network operations team.
- Write white papers on new technology uses in the VA and how it will help support the mission of the VA.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline with 5 years relevant experience is required. 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- 5+ years' experience in a large enterprise environment involving network architecture and management
- Experience with Cisco router and switch administration
- Understanding of capacity management/planning techniques and processes
- An in-depth knowledge/understanding of carrier circuits to include, but not limited to T1, DS3, OC3, and Ethernet Transport Services.
- Multi-address family BGP, OSPF, EIGRP knowledge is a must
- Ability to interact with executive level Veterans Administrative staff
- Desire to learn new technologies such as Cloud, 100G Metro-E, and SD-WAN.
- Ability to work across multiple projects; provide written/verbal status updates on each project on a regular basis to the team lead, Program Manager and customer
- Knowledge and understanding of Network management and application analysis tools is required (NetScout, SolarWinds) and (OpNet preferred)
- Duties may require traveling, being on call periodically, and occasionally working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to pass a government Tier 4 High Background Investigation
PWS Specified Certifications: This position requires privileged system access. The applicant shall have six months to obtain an industry standard certification.
CCNP capable or higher preferredOverview
We are seeking a WAN Systems Network Engineer to join our team supporting the Department of Veteran Affairs NEDIIS, in Cleveland, OH.
The VA NSOC defends, manages, and monitors the network operating status and cyber security posture of the VA by providing the day-to-day management, operation and configuration of the enterprise network infrastructure, Internet Gateways, the delivery of enterprise security systems and services, the monitoring and reporting of security incidents, the conduct of threat and vulnerability analysis, the validation of adequate security controls within the enterprise and the full range of functions across the spectrum of activities relating to incident management, incident response and enterprise network management.
TekSynap is a fast growing high-tech company that understands both the pace of technology today and the need to have a comprehensive well planned information management environment. "Technology moving at the speed of thought" embodies these principles - the need to nimbly utilize the best that information technology offers to meet the business needs of our Federal Government customers.
We offer our full-time employees a competitive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability plans, vacation time and holidays.
Visit us at www.TekSynap.com .
Apply now to explore jobs with us!
The safety and health of our employees is of the utmost importance. Employees are required to comply with any contractually mandated Federal COVID-19 requirements. More information can be found here .
By applying to a role at TekSynap you are providing consent to receive text messages regarding your interview and employment status. If at any time you would like to opt out of text messaging, respond "STOP".Additional Job Information COMPETENCIES
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Establish Focus
- Change Management
- Develop Others
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Interpersonal Awareness
- Build Relationships
- Analytical Thinking
- Conceptual Thinking
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Expertise
- Foster Innovation
- Results Oriented
- Customer Service
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Cleveland, OH (possibility of remote work)
- Type of environment: Office
- Noise level: Medium
- Work schedule: Schedule is day shift Monday - Friday. May be requested to work evenings and weekends to meet program and contract needs.
- Amount of Travel: Less than 10%
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, feel, touch; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 10 pounds. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds; and up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Must be able to pass a government Tier 4 High Background Investigation OTHER DUTIES
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. TekSynap does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
TekSynap is committed to ensuring that our online application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please contact email@example.com for assistance.