RequirementsConditions of Employment
- May assist veterinarian to prepare for and during surgical procedures, to include preparing surgery packs, scalpel blades, and suture material, monitoring a patient using an anesthetic machine.
- May serve as scrubbed surgical assistant. Continuously informs medical staff of the changes in general condition of patient during surgical procedures.
- Prepares and administers vaccinations, oral and topical medications to patient as prescribed by the veterinarian. Prepares and dispenses prescription medication according to veterinarian instructions.
- Applies knowledge of common topics to assist clients in solving common husbandry problems.
- Applies knowledge of preventive care, disease prevention, lifestyle risks, and veterinary care to provide individualized wellness counseling to clients.
QualificationsAnimal Health Assistant (Full Performance), NF-03:
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-Verify) check
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Ability to work occasional Saturdays for special events
- Must not have an aversion to animals, blood, bodily fluids, animal tissues, strong odors, needles, or sharp instruments.
- Successful completion of a Physical Examination to include all mandated immunizations.
- Federal agencies will request information regarding the COVID-19 vaccination status of applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- A minimum of six (6) months demonstrated experience directly related to the duties required in the position that must have been gained through practical application in a Veterinary Medical setting and which demonstrates the knowledge, clinical skills, and abilities essential to perform successfully in accordance with the guidelines of the AVMA - American Veterinary Medical Association or equivalent (e.g. VMSB - Veterinary Medical Standardization Board etc.). Demonstrated experience include: proficiency in basic medical terminology; utilizes correct sterile techniques; apply appropriate restraint techniques to perform a variety of routine medical and diagnostic procedures (to include proper radiological techniques); proficiency in recording medical history and treatment in ccSOAP (Chief Complaint Subjective Objective Assessment Plan); explains product information and/or treatment plan to clients as directed by the Veterinarian; determine preventive wellness plan to include required medical treatments and vaccinations requirements based on patient medical history; utilize in-house laboratory equipment to perform diagnostics tests; conduct routine maintenance on in-house laboratory equipment; completes lab request form for reference laboratories; prepares samples for shipment to outside laboratories.
Highly Preferred: Possess or have the ability to reactivate/obtain a registration, license, or certification as a veterinary assistant or higher through an accredited program (e.g. as identified on the www.NAVTA.net website Possess basic supply management experience which includes: ordering supplies, maintaining sufficient stock levels, completing monthly inventory counts and documenting expiration dates of in stock medications and vaccines.
For more information please see PD# 20209 (Please click here to view).The information provided on your resume should be clear and specific. You will be rated based solely off of the information provided within your resume. Assumptions will not be made regarding your experience and the duties performed. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional informationArea of Consideration
- The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is Fort Meyer, VA. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
Pay-Band (NF or CY) Allowances and Differentials
- If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 4:00pm EST (Monday -Thursday) or 3:00pm EST (Friday) on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job-related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
Incentives and Bonuses
- This is a pay-banded position.
- Sunday premium pay may be authorized by the Garrison Commander. If authorized, only regular (full-time, part-time, limited tenure and seasonal) employees may be paid Sunday premium pay. When authorized, Sunday premium will be paid at the rate of 25% of the basic rate for all hours of non-overtime, when any part of the scheduled tour of duty is performed on Sunday (to a maximum of 8 hours per Sunday). Sunday premium will be paid at the rate of 25% of the basic rate for all hours of non-overtime, when any part of the scheduled tour of duty is performed on Sunday (to a maximum of 8 hours per Sunday).
- Night differential may be authorized by the Garrison Commander. When authorized, night differential will be paid at the rate of 10% basic rate for hours of non-overtime work performed between 1800-0600.
Non-Foreign Overseas Allowances
- Incentives will not be paid.
Please check out our Applicant Information Kit
- Non-foreign overseas allowances, cost of living (COLA), and differentials will not be paid, contingent upon eligibility.
- It contains additional information applicants may find useful when applying for our jobs. (To view the kit, click or copy and paste this URL: https://publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/Applicants/NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit.pdf ).
- Salary is pro-rated based on a 40-hour work week.
- Hourly salary is NF-03: $18.54ph ($38,690pa)
- Below defines the employment category for this position:
- Flexible/Intermittent (00 guaranteed hours per week however may be scheduled to work between 0-40 hours per week based on mission needs)
- Work schedule to be determined after hire.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.