As an IT Specialist (SYSADMIN/APPSW), you will:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Serve as the expert intermediary between the systems administration and application functions/teams in the Applications Branch (e.g., developers, networking team, infrastructure security team, infrastructure systems team).
- Coordinate projects and activities, and manage the deployment, maintenance, and upgrade process of applications developed by different development groups and teams.
- Work with software application developers to architect, configure, and troubleshoot application servers and the software running on the developed applications.
- Oversee and ensure systems administration, patching, networking, and provisioning support of application servers within the OCCS applications platform.
- Manage approximately 400 application servers in support of the NLM mission and ensure support for applications residing on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud.
- Direct and oversee provisioning and patching scripts for on-premises application servers and AWS Cloud.
- Create, maintain, and administer automated testing frameworks that allow in-depth testing of User Interfaces, modules, and security of custom software applications across multiple programming languages and platforms.
- Maintain the integrity, security, and availability of NOSQL databases and database-like technologies, and troubleshoot server issues, including tuning performance, isolate and fix application problems, and apply security patches.
- Analyze and evaluate new systems engineering technologies, and develop and coordinate lifecycle development processes and tools to facilitate agile development methodologies.
- Identify future-state objectives for the development environment, and provide guidance on best practices to maintain the development environments and support the rapid development and testing of web based solutions.
- Provide analysis and guidance on program related information technology (IT) issues or problems where new analytical techniques must be developed to identify and evaluate findings.
- Identify and maintain firewall rules needed to allow application communication, and create and maintain approximately 2500 firewall rules in support of application network communication.
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements within thirty (30) calendar days of the closing date of this announcement, including time in grade.
For all IT positions, individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You qualify at the GS-13
level, if you meet the following qualification requirements:
- You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: diagnosing system software, applications software, and system interface issues; managing application servers; analyzing systems configurations; overseeing software installations, upgrades, and patches; and managing IT projects.
Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
You will receive credit for all experience material to the position, including experience gained in religious, civic, welfare, service, and organizational activities, regardless of whether you received pay.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12036843 Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
- This position is designated as a " non-emergency/teleworker " position and the selected candidate will be considered a " non-emergency/teleworker " employee. In the event of a closure, you must be available to telework or request leave.
- This position is eligible for local remote work, a position designation where onsite presence is required only on an irregular or infrequent basis, not to exceed two days or 16 hours every two weeks. Your worksite (e.g., home residence) must be within the same geographically defined pay locality as the location in this announcement or the location(s) you choose to be considered for when applying. Visit OPM's page for pay locality definitions . Visit NIH's Remote Work page for more information and requirements.
- A newly appointed or reappointed individual may receive a recruitment incentive. Recipients will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on organizational need, specific case justification, and budget limitations.
- A current federal government employee may receive a relocation incentive if moving from a different geographic location. Recipients will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on organizational need, specific case justification, and budget limitations.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should apply online to this announcement to receive consideration.
- Veterans' Preference applies only to Schedule A (disability appointment) and Veterans Recruitment Appointments (if applicable).
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program ( E-Verify ). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Visit our Applicant FAQs page for helpful information on the application process.
- Visit our Total Compensation page and this sample for a detailed look into the benefits, awards, leave, retirement, and other incentives employees may receive as part of a rewarding work environment.