RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will drive different sizes of passenger buses to transport passengers.
- You will load and arrange cargo into vehicle using techniques and equipment (e.g., chains, binders, straps, tie-downs) for safe transit.
- You will interpret instructions or specifications related to bus operations, preventive maintenance, and passenger safety.
- You will follow safety practices and procedures in the operation of vehicles.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or fail the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card for travel and travel-related purchases.
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission designated by a local or command decision.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- You will be required to have CDL Class A or B (with P endorsement for either one).
- Must be 21 and over (those 18-20 can only possess an intrastate CDL and this position requires the ability to travel out of state)
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: Ability to do the work of a Motor Vehicle Operator without more than normal supervision performing common tasks including: 1) Operating coach buses according to traffic regulations, safety precautions, and/or speed limits; 2) Performing operator maintenance on all vehicles operated (e.g., monitoring fluid levels, replacing air filters and interior lights, checking tire pressure and hose connections, and washing the vehicle); and 3) Using predetermined routes.NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for this position.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations.
Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=WG-5700 Physical Effort:
The employee's work will require sitting for long periods of time. However, may require walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing, pulling, reaching while performing minor preventative maintenance or other tasks. May be required to lift and carry parts and equipment weighing up to 40 pounds: occasionally handles items weighing up to 100 pounds. Normal metal and muscular coordination as well as hearing and vision are required. The employee must have the ability to discern colors, contrast, and depth.Working Conditions:
Employee works inside a vehicle, but may have to work both inside and outside, sometimes in bad weather and in areas that are noisy, dirty, dusty, and greasy. Employee is exposed to all types of traffic and road hazards. May be exposure to uncomfortable heat conditions, strains, cuts, scrapes, bruises, or burns. May be expected to work alone. Personal protective equipment may be required such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves and harnesses
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
This position has a selective placement factor that will be used to screen out ineligible candidates. The selective placement factor is: a valid Class A or Class B Commercial License (CDL) with a passenger (P) and air brakes endorsement. YOU MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF YOUR LICENSE WITH THE APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN YOU BEING INELIGIBLE.
You may redact the photo of your license to conceal personally identifiable information (PII) such as date of birth, photo, etc. Do not redact your name. EducationAdditional information
This announcement uses the Noncompetitive Temporary and Term Appointments To Meet Critical Hiring Needs in the Department of Defense direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Area of consideration: Local commuting area - DC Metro/National Capital region - 50 Mile radius.
You will serve as a part time employee, driving 20-38 hours per week. There are frequent opportunities to work overtime and accrue pay at 1.5 times your hourly wage per hour.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
This position is being recruited through Noncompetitive Temporary and Term Appointments to meet Critical Hiring Needs in the Department of Defense.
This position may offer a recruitment incentive in exchange for applicants signing a one (1) year contract. This position may offer a referral bonus for successful hires.