RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Electrician, WT-2805: Installs, modifies and repairs electrical ships systems, controls and instrumentation.
- Electronics Mechanic, WT-2604: Installs, modifies, fabricates and repairs electrical/electronic systems, controls and instrumentation.
- Fabric Worker, WT-3105: Fabricates repairs and installs such fabric articles as awnings, sails, boat canopies weather and protective cloths, fenders, bumpers, various types of covers and other ships and boat accessories.
- Heavy Mobile Equip Mechanic, WT-5803: Determines cause of mechanical problems, locate defects and make repairs to various internal combustion engines; transmission; heavy duty drive line systems; and hydraulic utility systems and controls.
- Boilermaker, WT-3808: Fabricates, assembles, installs, repair and tests boilers and boiler components.
- Insulator, WT-3610: Work involves insulating surfaces of pipes, ducts, valves, fittings, flanges, boilers, tanks, turbine, evaporators, refrigeration units and similar structures.
- Machinist, WT-3414: A machinist will set up the fixtures and work pieces and operates machine/machine tools to complete machining operations.
- Marine Machinery Mechanic, WT-5334: Dismantle, repair, relocate, modify maintain, align, overhaul and install marine machinery equipment and systems.
- Painter, WT-4102: Apply paint and other protective coatings using solvents, acids, detergents, power and hand tools and electronic controlled automatic plate blasting equipment.
- Pipefitter, WT-4204: Layout, cutting, bending, assembling, and installing pipefitting and fixtures. Constructs and maintains piping systems such as heating, steam power, hot water heating, hydraulic, high pressure air and oil line systems.
- Sheet Metal Mechanic, WT-3806: Constructs and installs ventilation, furniture, bulkheads, ladders, handrails, equipment foundations. Interprets blueprints, develop patterns and use computer programs designed to develop sketches.
- Shipfitter, WT-3820: Assembles, modifies, lays out, fabricates, repairs and installs ferrous, nonferrous, exotic metals, plates, shapes and pipe.
- Shipwright, WT-5220: Installs and repairs wood bulkheads, doors, sash, paneling, ladders, super-structure decks and gratings, wooden decks and panels.
- Welder, WT-3703: Performs various welding processes to weld ferrous and non-ferrous metals including alloys in the repair of castings, weld fabrications and general shop repairs.
- Woodcrafter, WT-4605: Makes and repairs high-grade wooden items. Involves shaping and contouring surfaces; precise, intricate joining and decorating; use of the full range of woodworking tools, machines, and techniques.
- Rigger, WT-5210: Utilizes chain falls, blocks and tackles, winches, cables and other mechanical devices to safely move items, ranging from a few pounds to those weighing several tons.
QualificationsInterested Applicants must submit Virginia Placement Test (VPT) results dated between July 21, 2021 and October 21, 2023 along with their resume. To be eligible for an interview, the "Placement based upon results" must say: For Math: Eligible for MAT 111
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final secret security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or fail the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- You must submit most recent resume with full contact information (name, full address, personal email, and phone number).
- You must submit Virginia Placement Test (VPT) results dated between July 21, 2021 and October 23, 2023 along with resume.
For English: Eligible for ENF 3, EDE 11 or ENG 111. Virginia Placement Test:
The test results determine eligibility for the program. EVERYONE who wants to apply to NNSY's Apprenticeship Program MUST participate in the college's Placement Testing Program within two years of the announcement opening date. Log on the TCC website: https://help.tcc.edu/s/article/Resources-for-Placement-Testing, to find out more information about the test. You must print a copy of your test scores after completion of the test before exiting your exam and speak to the proctor about your scores.
All attachments must be in a PDF format or a Word Document. (Google Docs and JPEGs are not acceptable).YOUR TEST RESULTS MUST BE ATTACHED TO YOUR APPLICATION. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING. Education
High school or equivalent (Preferred) Additional informationThis announcement uses the Defense Industrial Base, Major Range and Test Facilities direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.