This is an OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT and will remain open until September 29, 2023 or until positions are filled, closed or canceled. Applications will be reviewed weekly until the position is filled. The job announcement may close without prior notification.
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package. VHA Physician Total Rewards .Pay:
Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases Paid Time Off:
50-55 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME) Retirement:
Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA Insurance:
Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement) Licensure:
1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory Malpractice:
Free liability protection with tail coverage provided Contract:
No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting Work Schedule:
7:30AM - 4:00PM - Monday - Friday
The Staff Dentist will provide direct dental care to qualified patients in an outpatient setting and serve as a consultant to other healthcare providers in accordance with VHA Office of Dentistry Standard of Care. The Dentist will be expected to be able to perform the following, but not limited to:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Interpret dental radiographs, in delivery of diagnostic consultations, and in clinical dental treatment as outlined in their individual approved privileges and in accordance with the VHA Office of Dentistry Standard of Care to include but not limited to the following topics:
- Appropriate and Timely Management of Dental Infections,
- Prescribes appropriate antimicrobial treatment when clinically indicated,
- Performs dental extractions on site when clinically indicated,
- Appropriate Management of Tooth Restoration,
- Diagnosing need for tooth restoration and performs said restoration successfully,
- Performing dental extractions on site should the tooth be unsalvageable,
- Appropriately plans course of treatment that leads to overall dental health for the patient,
- Appropriate Planning and Performance in Regard to Dental Prosthetics,
- Diagnosing need for dental appliance,
- Obtaining proper impressions for dental appliance,
- Ensuring proper fit of dental appliance before delivery to patient,
- Ordering surgical consultations in a timely manner when clinically indicated.
- Maintains appropriate documentation to include but not limited to the following topics:
- Timeliness - all documentation must be completed by the incumbent themselves within 7 days from Date of Service, Each note meets Standard Criteria - must contain the basic elements for an accurate, complete, and billable dental note, Each note documents course that leads to overall dental health for the patient.
- All Staff Dentists are expected to adhere to VHA Code of Ethics, performs own duties as required, and Maintains Information Security Protocols as covered in N.E.O.
- Displays Professionalism at all times and will be responsible for Performing own duties as required;
- understanding and respecting duties and roles of others in the department;
- Responsive to needs of team members regarding time and information;
- Available at assigned duty station during duty hours for team members to consult; Adheres to HIPAA guidelines in both written and verbal communication.
- Performs only those privileges for which approval has been granted by the Medical Center Director prospectively and in writing.
- Maintains own professional qualifications, participates in customer service training, computer training, and attends mandated medical center training activities as required.
- May be assigned administrative or managerial responsibilities through participation in clinical, educational and administrative committees, task groups, or special projects. Incumbents who supervise residents will provide education, training, mentoring, and supervision to students and residents.
- Incumbents with specialized training in a particular specialty may be assigned section chief responsibilities for the subspecialty and may function as the primary clinician or subject matter expert responsible for formulating policy, procedures, education, and training affecting the daily clinical operations of the subspecialty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met. Dentist Basic Requirements
- Education: A degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery or dental medicine resulting from a course of education in dentistry. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are (1) United States and Canadian schools of dentistry listed by the Commission on Dental Accreditation(CODA), in the list published for the year in which the course of study was completed.(2) Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia as qualifying for full and unrestricted licensure provided the licensure requirements include a written examination measuring science achievement and a performance examination measuring clinical competence certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant. ~AND~
- Residency Training: Completed, or you are currently completing, a residency program in general practice or specialty, or comparable experience as a dentist actively involved in treating medically compromised patients. ~AND~
- Licensure: Currently hold, or will hold, a current, full and unrestricted license to practice dentistry in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. Note: Dentists must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Board certification
- Two years general practice experience
VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-3 Dentist Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements:
Light carrying, under 15 pounds; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; both eyes required; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic colors; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing (aid permitted); mental and emotional stability. Education
Degree of doctor of dental surgery or dental medicine resulting from a course of education in dentistry. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.Approved schools are:(1) United States and Canadian schools of dentistry listed by the Council on Dental Education, American Dental Association, in the list published for the year in which the course of study was completed.(2) Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia as qualifying for full and unrestricted licensure provided the licensure requirements included a written examination measuring science achievement and a performance examination measuring clinical competenceIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .Additional information
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .