DutiesWHAT IS THE RESEARCH, APPLIED ANALYTICS AND STATISTICS (RAAS)DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
2 Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Research, Applied Analytics and Statistics, Knowledge, Development & Application Division (Compliance Modeling)
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
RequirementsConditions of Employment STANDARD POSITION DESCRIPTIONS (SPD):
- Participates in the initiation, planning, and implementation of SOI projects. Assists in all major areas of managing SOI projects which includes determining user requirements, program content, sample design, information systems design, and data collection and correction procedures.
- Performs extensive systems acceptability testing of SOI information systems used in the data collection process.
- Writes and/or reviews detailed manuals pertaining to data editing, editor and National Headquarters error resolution, and controlling and shipping procedures.
- Trains field and National Headquarters personnel in the areas of statistical editing and error resolution of tax and information return data.
- Performs a high volume of error resolution of complex data problems and taxpayer reporting irregularities. Performs both macro and micro-level data analysis. Uses economic data from other government agencies and private sector groups and other publicly available information to validate data collected for SOI projects.
PD96576 and PD96577
Visit the IRS SPD Library to access the position descriptions.
- If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position will be conditional on obtaining and maintaining a High Risk Security Clearance.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GRADES:
You must have a bachelor's or higher degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in economics as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Examples of qualifying experience include (this list is not all inclusive): a. Individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusion and report preparation; b. Supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or c. Teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and include one of the following: (1) personal research that produced evidence of results; (2) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (3) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems. The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in economics.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-11:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience applying the methods and principles of economics and their application to research projects; experience conducting research, study design and the administration of the processes; experience in understanding the economic significance of the information reported on tax returns, experience understanding tax laws and the impact of proposed tax law changes on research projects; experience developing, analyzing, and presenting statistical information; experience understanding laws, rules, regulations, and systems applicable to the area of responsibility; experience using user oriented computer programming languages and statistical software packages; and demonstrated skill in oral communications and descriptive report writing. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in economics. OR
3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in economics.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-12:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service: Specialized experience for this position includes: experience applying the methods and principles of economics and their application to research projects; experience conducting research, study design and the administration of the processes; experience in understanding the economic significance of the information reported on tax returns, experience understanding tax laws and the impact of proposed tax law changes on research projects; experience developing, analyzing, and presenting statistical information; experience understanding laws, rules, regulations, and systems applicable to the area of responsibility; experience using user oriented computer programming languages and statistical software packages; and demonstrated skill in oral communications and descriptive report writing.ANDMEET TIME IN GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT:
Under merit promotion procedures, Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F. Time is credited based on calendar time served in a grade, regardless of the number of days or hours worked. If you currently hold or have previously held a position at the same (or equivalent) or higher grade/level in the Federal government as of this announcement, you will meet the TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS.ANDTIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT:
By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment . For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards .Education
A copy of your transcripts or equivalent documentation is required for positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. If the position has specific education requirements and you currently hold, or have previously held, a position in the same job series with the IRS, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time. Applicants are encouraged, but are not required, to submit an SF-50 documenting experience in a specific series.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page .FOREIGN EDUCATION:
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions. Additional information
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages .
- This is a Bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Day Shift, Monday-Friday Start and stop times between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available
- Relocation expenses - No.
Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 10/10/2023. The announcement will be used to fill an anticipated 2 vacancies. Selections may be made from certificates issued up to 9 months after the 1st cutoff 02/10/2023, 2nd cutoff 04/28/2023; 3rd cutoff 07/07/2023.
Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 9-month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date or the final selection date.