Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. If you applied previously, you do not need to re-apply to be considered.
The Fairfax County Health Department is a progressive public health leader serving 1.2 million
residents from diverse ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds. We invite you to apply to
become a member of our thriving workforce, together making a difference in the health of our
Manages general accounting for a variety of state, federal and other grants, including analysis of operating and compensation budgets and expenditures, development of reimbursement invoices, audit support, reconciliation and adherence to county and departmental policy and process. Key responsibilities include:
- Financial oversight of complex diversified federal and state grants for the department.
- Monitoring, reconciling and reporting on grant activities.
- Incorporating budgetary information obtained from monitoring and reporting of grants into the annual budget submission and projections for quarterly budget reviews and year-end.
- Preparing program year budget submissions, quarterly reports, monthly reimbursement invoices and other financial reports.
- Serving as the liaison for assigned grants with the grantor agencies, Department of Management and Budget and program staff.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Prepares and/or analyzes financial data and makes recommendations;
- Plans, organizes and participates in the reconciliation of funds;
- Prepares long range revenue and expenditure estimates necessary to forecast economic feasibility of various projects;
- Reviews and verifies postings to appropriate ledgers and subsidiary accounts;
- Prepares or assist development of the agency budget and monitors budget status.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles;
- Ability to prepare, interpret and analyze financial reports and statements;
- Ability to develop and apply budget, procurement, and payment procedures in accordance with established county policies.
:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in accounting; or a bachelor's degree in business administration or related field that has been supplemented by at least six credit hours of basic accounting principles and concepts; plus, two years of professional-level finance or business administration experience. A master's degree in a related field or CPA may substitute for one year of experience.CERTIFICATIONS:
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - CPR (Required within 60 days)
AED (Required within 60 days)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a child protective services registry, and a sanction screening to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Two years of experience in governmental general and grant accounting
- One year of experience in allocating costs across grants
- One year of experience in accounts payable, procurement, and position tracking
- Advance experience utilizing Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word and Excel.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with an attention to detail.
- Proven team leadership skills with direct responsibility in supervising and managing a team of professionals with a commitment to development of staff.
- Experience in training and coaching staff in a financial setting.
- Provide outstanding customer service skills with the ability to form collaborative partnerships across intra-departmental divisions and with external stakeholders to work towards a common goal.
- Exceptional communication skills verbally and in writing.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, and job requires walking, standing, sitting (for long periods of time), and kneeling, reaching, bending, climbing stairs; uses hands to grasp, handle, or feel. Visual acuity is required to read data on a computer monitor; ability to operate keyboard driven equipment and computer. Position frequently communicates and must be able to exchange accurate information with others verbally and in writing. Employee may be required to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally. Generally works in an office environment yet may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. Ability to drive a motor vehicle. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov