Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! The Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) is seeking a Carpenter I t to be a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level.
Assists the Carpenter II with the installation/repair of walls, doors, suspended ceilings, steps, thresholds, handrails, counter tops, install partitions. Repairs or replaces doors and associated hardware as well as inspecting/installing fire extinguishers, Knox boxes, shelves, blinds, shades, outdoor structures, as well as fitting and installing interior and exterior trim. Performs preventive maintenance on interior and exterior doors, fire doors, roof drains, gutters, and downspouts. Performs window installation and repairs. Assists the area sites with roof replacement and repairs of the dugout boxes. Maintains inventory of materials and equipment in vehicle. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Constructs and installs wall partitions, door openings, system furniture, suspended ceilings, etc.;
- Repairs roofs, walls, floors, ceilings, steps, sidewalks, thresholds, handrails, counter tops, stall partitions, flag poles, etc.;
- Repairs or replaces doors and associated hardware as well as inspecting/installing fire extinguishers and Know boxes;
- Assembles, installs and repairs office furniture, shelves, blinds, shades, picnic tables, benches, outdoor equipment as well as fitting and installing interior and exterior trim;
- Performs preventive maintenance on interior and exterior overhead doors, fire doors, roofs, roof drains, gutters and downspouts;
- Operates service vehicle and maintains inventory of materials and equipment in vehicle;
- May supervise Maintenance Trade Helpers.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Basic knowledge of the standards, practices and equipment of the carpentry trade;
- Basic knowledge of applicable state and national codes;
- Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures as well as common hazards associated with carpentry;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions as well as drawings, specifications and
- manufacturer’s manuals;
- Ability to estimate time and materials needs;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to train/instruct Maintenance Trade Helpers;
- Ability to perform duties in inclement weather, climb ladders and scaffolds and routinely work in dark, hot, cold, damp environments in tiring, physically demanding positions for long periods of time with possible exposure to hazardous materials ie. asbestos.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to the following:
High school diploma or G.E.D. issued by a state department of education; and Completion of an acceptable apprentice-level training program. Four years of experience may be substituted for the apprentice-level training program.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Previous carpentry experience with historic structures. CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Driver's license (required)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PRODCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov