RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will serve as an engineer in the Integrated Topside Design (ITD) Branch of the Electromagnetic Sensor Systems Department of the NSWC Dahlgren Division providing focused Computer Aided Design (CAD) services.
- You will conduct ship checks using a High-Definition Scanner (HDS) in support of ITD.
- You will validate and create ship models and parts of existing drawings, photos, and point clouds generated from a High-Definition Scanner (HDS).
- You will provide well thought out advice and guidance to managers, supervisors, peers, and sponsors on technical aspects of systems or concept development.
- You will actively participate independently and with a diverse team of scientists and engineers, to include military, civilian, and contractor representatives.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). Certification in the Acquisition Functional Area and category assigned to the position is required within established category timeframes.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at the ND-03 pay band (GS-9/11 equivalent) in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector as a professional engineer evaluating and testing Computer Aided Design (CAD) services to identify technological inefficiencies and develop effective solutions in support of mission objectives.ND-03
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at the ND-02 pay band (GS-5/7 equivalent) in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector as a professional engineer performing tests for Computer Aided Design (CAD) services to analyze results and recommend solutions in support of mission objectives.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf (opm.gov)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
Applicants must meet the following basic education requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
Successful completion of a professional engineering degree. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree (or higher) in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position.
Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration For more information about EI and EIT registration requirements, please visit the National Society of Professional Engineers website at: http://www.nspe.org
Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico The FE examination is not administered by the U. S. Office of Personnel Management. For more information, please visit: http://www.nspe.org/Licensure/HowtoGetLicensed/index.html.
Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements under paragraph A (above). The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of an engineering program as described in paragraph A (above)
Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least one year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily, there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions.
Education can be substituted for experience at the ND-03 level (GS-9/11 equivalent) as follows:
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree;
master's or equivalent graduate degree;
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree;
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree;
a combination of experience and graduate education as described above that equates to one year of experience.Additional information
ND-03: $58,811 - $102,166
ND-04: $78,592 - $145,617
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.
This announcement uses the STRL Bachelors OR the STRL Advanced direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
Vacancies filled from this announcement may be filled at any grade level listed.
If selected below the full performance level, you may be noncompetitively promoted to the next higher grade level after meeting all regulatory requirements, and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.