At the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), we are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA) and value a workforce that reflects the diverse experiences and perspectives of the communities we serve. As such, we welcome applications from qualified individuals of all backgrounds who share our commitment to public service.
As a Staff Accountant in the Division of Corporation Finance, Disclosure Review Program, you will:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Review disclosures made in registration statements filed in connection with initial public offerings and other securities offerings as well as annual, quarterly, and other reports;
- Identify, analyze, and resolve complex accounting and reporting issues facing public companies in and across a variety of industries;
- Research and provide interpretation of accounting regulations, statutes, executive orders, and agency directives;
- Draft and edit precise and well-organized documents, such as examination reports and letters detailing findings;
- Work directly with corporate officers, underwriters, public accounting firms and counsel, and other Division and Commission staff members, and;
- Work collaboratively and flexibly with other team members to accomplish work and support the organizational mission.
QualificationsAll qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- You must be a US Citizen.
- Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
- Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
- This position has promotion potential to the SK-14 grade level.
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a one-year probationary period.
- SECURITY CLEARANCE: Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of employment or selection to another position.
- DRUG TESTING: This position may be subjected to drug testing requirements.
- PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- This position is in the collective bargaining unit.
- This position is eligible to request telework in accordance with the SEC 's telework policy.
- Duplicative applications to this announcement over the period of time the announcement is open will not be considered.
Time-in-grade for this announcement is one year at the GS/SK-12 level.BASIC REQUIREMENT
: Applicant must have one of the following: Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.") OR Combination of education and experience -- at least four (4) years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must include ONE of the following: 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 semester hours of business law; A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial coursework in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24 semester hours requirement in paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the four-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal non-conformance to the requirement for 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT
: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, applicants must also meet the minimum qualification requirement.SK-13: Applicant must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS/SK-12 level that includes the following: Independently preparing, reviewing, or auditing financial statements included in public company SEC filings; and Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting requirements such as those related to Securities and Exchange Commission rules and regulations, U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) as issued by the International Accounting Standards Board, and other interpretative regulatory documents; and Recommending the resolution of accounting and/or financial reporting issues. ***This is an open-continuous announcement, positions will be filled as they become available. There will be multiple cut-off dates used to consider applications for referral to the selecting official. Cut-offs will occur every 14 days until the closing date of this announcement.*** EducationARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY?
provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.FOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html Additional informationSEC COMPENSATION PROGRAM:
The overall salary range listed above is provided for informational purposes as it represents the full range that is applicable to current employees in this occupation/grade; however, a selectee's initial pay is always set below the maximum rate of the range. click here
for more information.Disability Employment:
For information on disability appointments, visit http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/ IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SURPLUS OR DISPLACED FEDERAL EMPLOYEES:
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) are available to individuals who have special priority selection rights under this plan. Individuals must be well-qualified for this position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP or ICTAP eligibles will be considered well-qualified when receiving an adjudicated score of 80 or higher.Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA):
To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, you must be a preference eligible or a Veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.LAND MANAGEMENT WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY ACT (LMWFA):
The LMWFA provides current or former temporary or term employees of federal land management agencies opportunity to compete for permanent competitive service positions. Individuals must have more than 24 months of service without a break between appointments of two or more years. Service must be in the competitive service and have been at a successful level of performance or better. For more information, click here .Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities:
For more information please see:
- Persons with Disabilities-Schedule A
- Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
- Other Special Appointment Authorities
If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation for disability to participate in the application process at the SEC, submit the form for Reasonable Accommodation for Participation in Job Application Process here . Be sure to submit your request at least 5 business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Information for SEC Job Applicants:
Federal EEO laws protect all applicants from discrimination on the following bases: race, color, sex (not limited to conduct which is sexual in nature, includes pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, transgender status), age (40 and over), religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, retaliation for participating in the EEO process or opposing discrimination. Applicants who believe they have been discriminated against on any EEO basis can seek recourse through the SEC's administrative complaints process. To be timely, an individual must enter the EEO process within 45 days from when they know (or should have known) of the alleged discrimination. Click here for more information.