RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will disassemble support equipment (SE) components and repair/replace parts.
- You will perform and ensure the proper accomplishment of periodic and special inspections and any other periodic/scheduled maintenance as required by technical publications, maintenance requirement cards, and other directives.
- You will plan the sequence of routines required for assigned repair tasks, select and safely use the proper tools, devices, and equipment.
- You will use test equipment to maintain GSE/powered support equipment (PSE).
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver?s license.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job.
The Screen-out Element for this position is:
1) Performing common tasks including disassembling components; repairing/replacing parts, assisting in tuning engines; adjusting brakes, adjusting ignition/injector timing and linkages, accomplishing periodic inspections and maintenance on a variety of powered and non-powered aircraft ground support equipment (GSE); 2) Using common hand/power tools, technical manuals, directives; 3) Using and following technical manuals, directives and verbal instructions; and 4) Assisting Journey level mechanics in more complex tasks to include: disassembling engines, repairing or replacing various parts such as valves, bearings, carburetors and fuel injection components, ignition system components, clutches, gaskets, couplings, reduction gears, etc. and reassembling as required to effect complete repairs.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
This position may require rotating shift work.
This position requires exposure to high noise levels.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies will be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.