As a Directorate of Operations Language Officer at CIA, you will perform a critical and dynamic function within the Directorate of Operations by using your advanced foreign language skills combined with cultural experience and expertise to produce high-quality, accurate, and timely translations, interpretations, and other language-related support to Directorate of Operations clandestine operations. Language Officers are key to the success of many foreign intelligence, counterintelligence, cyber, and covert action operations and have native or near-native level fluency in one or more of the following languages:
- Chinese Mandarin
Language Officers generally are assigned to the Washington, DC area, but have opportunities for overseas travel. Opportunities to serve multi-year postings overseas are very limited and these positions are highly competitive.
You will receive specialized training to acquire an understanding of clandestine operations tradecraft and to maintain and/or advance your foreign language skills. Classroom training, practical exercises, and on-the-job experience are all part of the training process.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/jobs/directorate-of-operations-language-officer/RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be physically in the United States or one of its territories when you submit your resume via MyLINK.
- You must be registered for the Selective Service, if applicable.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and at least 18 years of age (dual-national US citizens are eligible).
- You must be willing to move to the Washington, DC area.
- You must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview, and a comprehensive background investigation.
- For further information, please visit: https://www.cia.gov/careers/how-we-hire/
- Personal integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Action- and results-oriented
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently
- Flexibility, adaptability, and commitment to the mission of the CIA and the Directorate of Operations
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA , including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Strong command of the foreign language(s) and English in speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- Professional work experience as a translator and/or interpreter.
- Cultural and area knowledge of where the foreign language(s) is/are spoken.
- Strong critical/analytical thinking and research skills.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to establish respectful relationships and to work effectively in a diverse team environment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution (applicants within one year of earning a four-year degree will be considered); there is no preferred major or program of study (degrees from foreign academic institutions are accepted, but you are responsible for obtaining and providing CIA with a credential evaluation from an accredited firm confirming that the foreign degree is the equivalent of a BA/BS and/or MA/MS degree conferred by a U.S. college or university)
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred