RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Analyze and abstract records, and code physician professional services rendered in both the outpatient and inpatient settings utilizing ICD-CM, CPT and HCPCS coding manuals.
- Review and abstract medical documentation from a variety of sources and validate patient and provider information in order to accurately reflect complexity of patient care and resource consumption.
- Translate diagnostic and procedural phrases from the medical record into coded form.
- Code disease and injury diagnoses, acuity of care, and procedures in a wide range of professional services settings and specialties.
- Review Third Party Collection (TPC) records for coding accuracy to assist with optimal reimbursement.
- Execute, maintain, and monitor spreadsheets documenting encounters with missing documentation and/or provider signatures that prevent coding of services rendered.
- Determine the most accurate CPT code(s) to describe the service using knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology and medical terminology.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and is therefore subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- Immunization screening is required.
THIS POSITION IS ANNOUNCED AS A STANDING REGISTER (OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT): First cut off date to evaluate candidates will be 04 May 2023 at 11:59 PM with subsequent cut off dates on the first of the month. Announcement will be opened for six months (23 October 2023).
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes, 1) Performing technically complex medical coding functions utilizing International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10-CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) coding resources; and 2) Analyze and abstract records rendered in both the outpatient and inpatient settings for coding ICD-10, Evaluation and Management coding (E&M) and CPT. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05). Education
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted. Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- IAW BUMEDINST 6230.l 5B, susceptible or occupationally exposed health care employees who have direct contact with patients will receive appropriate immunization against communicable diseases unless a current immunization, a protective titer, or a medical exemption is documented.
- The work requires continual visual concentration and a significant amount of data entry.
- One of the following certifications, while not required, is highly recommended: American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA), Certified Coding Specialist-Physician Based (CCS-P), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position is telework eligible after a 1 year probationary period.
- A favorable Tier 3 background investigation is required for all Non-Critical Sensitive (NCS) positions with access to network systems and Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives MAY be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/ .