Minimum Qualifications Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of a bachelor's degree, a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and four (4) years of progressively responsible management experience in maintenance may be considered
- Eight (8) years of demonstrated progressively responsible experience in Elevator and Escalator maintenance or a related field is required. Also, must have a strong maintenance management background. Incumbent must possess a strong, management background with successfully demonstrated experience in the management and administration of a comprehensive systems maintenance organization
- National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) QEI-1 certification or equivalent QEI-1 certification recognized in District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia jurisdictions
- A valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from the jurisdiction of residence
- Vocational or technical training in vertical transportation equipment
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Assistant General Superintendent, Elevator Escalator is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the maintenance group. Ensure WMATAs fleet of vertical transportation meets maintenance compliance and availability goals set by the Authority. Ensures that all assets remain code compliant while in operation. Essential Functions
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates the assigned staff and provides technical direction to contractors retained for escalator and elevator maintenance, and rehabilitation, and other tasks related to the escalator and elevator program. Formulates and defines objectives of the required materials and services and evaluates changes recommended by other officials and/or the contractor.
- Sets elevator/escalator performance standards for preventative maintenance using industry standards, sets preventive maintenance compliance goals and reviews documentation for accuracy.
- Manages ELES operations budget and coordinates efforts of personnel from other offices to ensure conformance to overall program plan and budget.
- Provides a safe working environment and sets safety standards for maintenance groups which requires reporting of unsafe working environments. Provides video and actual demonstration of proper procedures for preventing injuries. Directs modifications to maintenance program as necessary to achieve safety and availability requirements.
- Manages ELES Operations Center (EOC), and monitors field activity remotely and effectively manages dispatch centers and staff.
- Develops special maintenance support plans for special events and severe weather coverage throughout the year. Manages remote office locations.
- Facilitates regulatory and quality oversight through partnerships with various entities (i.e., Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), Federal Transportation Administration (FTA), Tri-State Oversight Committee (TOC), and the Department of Quality Assurance, Internal Compliance and Oversight (QICO)), to ensure compliance with jurisdictional rules and regulations.
- Inspects field work and station conditions through field audit. Develops and implements appropriate technical approaches and work structure modifications in order to maximize efficiency of unit performance. Adapts to flexible demands and changing conditions.
- Works with the Office of Labor Relations and the Office of General Counsel to support and defend the Authority's legal interest.
- Monitors and approves scheduled overtime and ensures accurate coding for budget reconciliation.
- Develops and implements appropriate technical approaches and work structure modifications to maximize efficiency of unit performance to account for flexible demands and changing conditions.
- Schedules work assignments/resources to each region.
- Maintains state-of-the-art knowledge in vertical transportation systems.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Reviews time and attendance documentation for subordinate staff and enforces established administrative policies to monitor and optimize the utilization of all personnel resources.
- Works with other departments to support ELES' goals and prepares and delivers concise, authoritative written or oral reports, or briefings regarding program status, goals, or related issues.
- Operates Authority vehicle between work locations to perform job duties as required.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.