Engineer, Collaboration Services Engineer
Position #: 128853
The Collaboration Services Engineer is responsible for providing the engineering, administrative, and operational support of UMD collaboration systems. The engineering will focus on constant improvement of the enterprise collaboration and telephony systems for the University of Maryland. Services include but are not limited to: standard telephone services, call centers, voicemail, video conferencing, instant messaging, and Google Workspace services such as email, calendaring, and cloud-based file services.
The Collaboration Services Engineer will work closely with other Division of Information Technology staff and campus stakeholders to develop and improve collaboration systems in ways that improve user experience and productivity. The Collaboration Service Engineer will closely monitor new product functionality with UMD collaboration systems and services, industry trends, and trends of our Big10 peers, using this information to guide service improvements and integrations.
The Collaboration Services Engineer will have both operational and project duties, often with complex technical and business matters.
* Manage and provide operational support for UMD collaboration systems
* Hands-on deployment of new collaboration applications and functionality with existing collaboration system portfolio
* Develop increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on automation within cloud environments.
* Interact directly with University staff to gather technical and business requirements, develop and implement solutions.
* Manage technologies in an enterprise environment with a drive for understanding customer needs and operational excellence.
* Communicate with vendors for upgrades and troubleshooting issues with software.
* Training and demonstration of product features and operation to non-technical customers.
* Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
* Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements.
* Automate repetitive tasks where possible to improve service delivery and reduce operational overhead.
* Collaborate with the Security team to identify and remediate application and operating system vulnerabilities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five or more years of professional experience supporting information technology infrastructure operations, maintenance, and administration.
Other: Additional work experience as defined above may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for up to four (4) years of the required education.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Ability to follow directions from more senior team members but also able to work independently
* Basic mentorship to junior staff members
* A demonstrated commitment to customer service
* Ability to effectively manage workload and delivery assignments on time
* Skilled in the use of office productivity software such as Office 365 or Google Workspaces
* Experience in Higher Education
* Experience managing Google Workspace
* Experience administering/managing collaboration systems in a large environment
* Telephony services, call centers, and voicemail systems
* History of performing large complex system upgrades
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $90,000-$100,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment. Some evening and weekend work might be required.
Best consideration date: 10/11/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/113251
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.