IT Network Engineer, Junior NOC Engineer
Position #: 126958
The IT Engineer, NOC Junior Engineer, is a position within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park. This position is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the health of the university’s network and for the routine testing and analysis of all elements of the network facilities including power, software, network devices, remote, and broadband network equipment. In addition, this position will utilize software and hardware tools to identify and diagnose problems and factors affecting the network performance, and provide coverage for APC UPS systems and the network interfaces of these devices.
The campus network is a converged network that requires disciplined support and a strong propensity towards IT project management. A good understanding of campus Network Operations Center (NOC) functions along with an expertise to utilize network management systems is critical.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Experience: At least two (2) years of demonstrated experience in enterprise data networks and/or IT help desk, and utilization of a network management system.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as some level of project management.
* Ability and willingness to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 8pm. On-call network support may be required. Additional time may be required as needed or directed by management.
* Ability to demonstrate a strong knowledge of and support of Cisco and Aruba environments, a working knowledge of network testing equipment, and familiarity with campus wiring, including fiber optics.
* Knowledge of the various transports such as Gigabit Ethernet, TLS, and DWDM services.
* Familiarity with wireless (802.11) authentication, security and IOS, Cisco IOS software and Catalyst OS interfaces, Windows OS, Mac OS and user level familiarity with Unix OS.
* Experience with providing coverage for the campus Network Operations Center (NOC) call handling, troubleshooting, administration systems including trouble ticketing systems (ServiceNow), network management system (PRTG), and work order system (Pinnacle).
* Experience with electrical power systems for network racks and closets.
Additional Certifications: CCNA or other relevant network certifications preferred.
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $72,500 to $82,500
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Requirement to perform “on-call” duties required to maintain various networks. Some stress factors may be involved due to the nature of the operation and complexity of the duties.
This job requires the ability to install networking equipment that includes climbing ladders, lifting network equipment, working with hand tools, and accessing mechanical rooms.
Best consideration date: 10/11/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/113249
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.