The Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) seeks a junior Business Analyst to join our IT services team who is an inquisitive, critical thinker that enjoys working with a team of like-minded individuals and enjoys problem solving when innovation, reinvention, and disruption are paramount. You should have excellent analytical abilities, strong technical and creativity skills, and superior written and verbal communication skills. You will work with business owners and technical teams to understand and define system requirements, deliver operable solutions, and administer application systems. We are looking for individuals that enjoy a challenge and have a desire for professional growth and a continuous learning experience. As a member of the team, you will:
- Develop a deep level of knowledge and understanding of business processes and system requirements to provide routine support services to end users and drive continuous improvement to optimize configurations and IT operations.
- Serve as a system administrator for SaaS and traditional IT solutions.
- Serve as liaison between business users, internal IT, county agencies, and third-party vendors.
- Assist in testing activities, including system testing and coordination of acceptance testing.
- Work directly with end users to perform Gap Analysis. Document current and future workflows through a combination of process flow diagrams, logic diagrams, and narrative user stories.
- Perform problem/incident root cause analysis.
- Work directly with business leads and system end users to ensure requirements map to real business need and are approved by all relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure new system functionality and changes have met business needs per approved requirements.
- Create and maintain training materials and system end-user help guides and documentation.
- Cross-train on existing department system applications to provide resource resiliency.
- Engage and build influential relationships with senior leaders and stakeholders to appropriately drive focus and priorities on the right things for success.
DPWES is a diverse, nationally-accredited and award-winning public works agency with approximately 1,000 employees providing solid waste, capital facility development, wastewater, stormwater, urban forestry, and land acquisition management services for the most populous county in Virginia. Join our team to help us protect the environment and serve the people of Fairfax County by creating and preserving a sustainable community that is an ideal place to live, work, and play for everyone.
Fairfax County Government is committed to our employees, and offers comprehensive benefits, including a defined-benefit retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; paid leave; tuition reimbursement; and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Through our LiveWell Program and the County Benefits Division, we endeavor to cultivate a culture of wellbeing that empowers, educates and engages employees and retirees to make life-long choices that promote a holistic approach to their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and financial wellness. Please review our awesome benefits:
The Director’s Office provides support for all business areas of DPWES. Responsible for communication and public engagement, information technology, safety, emergency planning, and human resource policy oversight, the Director’s Office is foundational for the department's success in delivering quality and equitable services to our community.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of departmental operations, processes, and procedures;
- Knowledge of capabilities of information technology software, hardware, and network communication technology;
- Knowledge of the capabilities of various computer platforms functioning in centralized, distributed, client server, and stand alone environments;
- Knowledge of effective processes, methods, techniques to analyze and evaluate business operations;
- Ability to analyze and evaluate administrative processes and procedures for automation purposes;
- Ability to conduct research into new information technology;
- Ability to train employees in the use of hardware and software;
- Ability to prepare user manuals;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Bachelor's degree in business, computer science or a field related to the department where the information technology services are being used; plus two years of experience analyzing business processes and/or developing/maintaining the main business system, technical platform or a related system.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years of experience working directly with customers and/or end users to gather and document business requirements.
- 3+ years of experience documenting as-is processes and converting them to to-be processes.
- Experience in providing application system administration support and troubleshooting technical issues.
- Familiar with the software development life cycle and the Agile methodology.
- Experience building, managing, and maintaining vendor relationships.
- Proven experience putting analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to use.
- Experience with project management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to succinctly summarize key information and communicate effectively to a diverse group of team members, stakeholders, and senior leadership.
Job is generally sedentary. Ability to use keyboard-driven and mobile equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov