Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat has an immediate opening for a Principal Research Associate to join our team of leading public health researchers supporting a NIH-funded portfolio of community-engaged research projects in primary care and community-based settings to identify and implement interventions and service delivery strategies to address health inequities.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in the design, implementation and rigorous evaluation of evidence-based interventions aimed at advancing chronic disease prevention, treatment, and control and reduce related disparities by addressing major risk factors including social determinants of health (SDOH).
- Serve as a subject-matter expert to projects, including consulting in meetings or other forums, providing scientific support to academic and community partners, developing written and/or video materials, and developing or reviewing dissemination products.
- Lead qualitative and/or quantitative research, including major input to study design, instrument development, data collection, analysis, and report writing.
- Lead the provision of technical assistance, including assessing needs, overseeing the development of training materials and workshops, and building a broad network of subject-matter experts.
- Provide operational support, overseeing and monitoring project costs as well as financial performance.
- Manage client relationships, delivering strategic council and troubleshooting project-related issues.
- Lead and participate in business development activities including capture and proposal development.
- Contribute to reporting results and methods papers for publication in peer-reviewed and technical journals as well as products for non-research audiences such as dashboards, infographics, videos, stories, etc.
- Doctorate degree in Public Health or relevant field with at least 8-10 years of experience.
- In depth knowledge of evidence-based interventions to address chronic conditions including but not limited to asthma , hypertension, other heart disease and risk factors including obesity and cardiometabolic conditions
- In depth knowledge of interventions at the individual, peer, organizational, systems, community, and policy levels including those in communities and healthcare settings
- In depth knowledge and experience in addressing and measuring social determinants of health (SDOH)
- Experience providing education, technical assistance, and/or training to a range of audiences using effective adult learning strategies
- Experience in health equity and community engaged research
- Experience managing project budgets schedules and project teams
- Experience working in federal contracting or consulting organizations, or leading federal research grants/contracts
- Experience working in or collaborating with academic institutions
- Experience with networks that conduct clinical trials, community-engaged research and/or practice-based research
- Familiarity with implementation science research
- Experience conducting practice-based research in primary care safety net settings (e.g., federally qualified health centers)
- Experience working in racial/ethnic minority diverse communities and other health disparity populations
Other Required Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate effectively, using generally accepted correspondence and report formats.
- The successful candidate must have excellent attention to detail.
- Be comfortable and effective working on multiple, complex tasks in close coordination with others under limited direction.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (20 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.