IT Engineer, Identity Management Engineer
Position #: 106575
Identity and Access Management (IAM) systems are critical to getting people access to network and application resources, and to protecting valuable campus resources. The IAM team designs, develops, and integrates systems to ensure that account provisioning, authentication, and authorization meet the high-standards necessary to protect business, academic, and user data. The IAM team also works closely with other Big 10 universities, InCommon, and Internet2 to ensure UMD is following global standards.
As a member of the IAM team, the Identity Management Engineer is responsible for installation, upgrades, integration, optimization, and project/operational support of the central IAM systems supporting the University of Maryland campus.
Working collaboratively with other IAM staff, Platform Engineering, and other operational units, this role functions as a forward-thinking engineer and administrator who can also solve complex day-to-day IT problems. This person will need knowledge of application development and support with either work-related or educationally-related experience. This person will need an understanding of managing user identities and user access to system resources based on IAM best practices, as well as design and deploy unique solutions based on application needs. The engineer is responsible for the ongoing development, deployment, and support of the campus IAM systems, ensuring established standards are followed, verifies that the proper versions of the software infrastructure are being used, as well as ensures that applications take advantage of emerging functionality that increases technical productivity or provides value-added new services.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience. 2-4 years of professional work experience.
* Experience with a high-level programming language like Java or Python
* Experience with object-oriented principles; software design; and use of design patterns.
* Experience working with Git, Bitbucket, or similar code repositories.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
* Understanding of engineering standards and methodologies including some or all of the following: creation and use of Use Cases, UML modeling, naming conventions, source control facilities, documentation, and unit testing.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, paired with the ability to express complex technical concepts effectively.
* Must be able to work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust to changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively to emergency situations.
* Excellent problem-solving, attention to detail, multitasking, communication, and complex troubleshooting skills.
* Comfortable working in Linux/Unix and Windows environments.
*Bachelor’s Degree preferably in computer science or related field.
*Experience in enterprise identity management systems.
*Experience in any of the following technologies:
*SAML, CAS, or OIDC implementations
*Group management systems (e.g. Active Directory/LDAP)
*Commercial Identity management platforms such as SailPoint or Okta
*Designing or maintaining permissions and roles for large enterprise applications such as an ERP or CRM
*Familiarity with java web application environments (Servlets, JSP, HTML, CSS)
*Familiarity with Spring frameworks, databases, and data binding tools (ORM, XML).
*Knowledge of identity best practices: Role-based Access Control (RBAC), Zero Trust Least Privilege, Provisioning/Deprovisioning, and Removal, MFA.
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $98,000 to $110,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Employee will need to be able to sit for long periods of time to work on a computer, as well as travel occasionally to meet with clients and customers on and off campus.
Best consideration date: 10/10/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/113206
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.