The Contract Specialist II is a staff position with the Contracts Division of the County’s central procurement department. This position develops, writes, administers, and manages procurements and contracts and is proficient with the terms and conditions of government contracts. The Contract Specialist II reports to the Supervising Contract Specialist and is responsible for developing and managing Requests for Proposals and other solicitations and negotiated agreements to establish contracts in support of customer departments. This position coordinates pre-award and post-award procurement actions, including contract negotiation, administration, termination, and closeout. Conducts pre-proposal conferences, participates in, and provides guidance to selection advisory committees, guides and participates in negotiations, and recommends and prepares contract award documents. Analyzes and applies applicable federal, state, and local laws, policies, and regulations to determine contractor compliance. This position works closely with the County Attorney, Risk Management, and Information Technology for assigned contracts. Prepares and maintains all documentation to ensure auditable contract records. Uses automated contracting and financial system to process and approve contracts and purchase orders.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions.NOTE:
The salary for this position will not exceed the midpoint of the advertised salary range and is commensurate with experience. Fairfax County promotional rules apply.Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, or a related field; plus two years of experience in technical procurement work, including considerable experience with automated procurement processing systems.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check and a credit check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Business or contract administration background preferred.
- Previous experience working with local government.
- Virginia public procurement experience.
- Nationally recognized professional public procurement certification.
- Experience in health, human services, information technology, and public safety contracting including experience at the federal, state, or local government level in contracts, grants, and procurement programs.
- Advanced knowledge of principles, practices and techniques relating to procurement and contract administration.
- Professional public procurement certification.
- Proficient with basic Microsoft Office Suite applications, SharePoint, and SAP Enterprise Software - Finance and Logistics.
- Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and directly, with contractors, end-users, program managers, senior department leadership, and stakeholders is critical.
- Ability to travel to and attend meetings, conferences, and site visits within and outside the metropolitan area.
Duties are generally sedentary and performed in a normal office environment. Ability to use computer and keyboard driven equipment. Ability to attend meetings on-site. Physical requirements can be performed with or without accommodation. Employees may be required to lift documents weighing no more than 10 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include practical exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov