Assistant Director of Human Resources
POSITION TITLE Assistant Director of Human Resources
PERSONNEL STATUS: Regular/Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Office of Human Resources
OPEN DATE: September 14, 2023
CLOSING DATE: October 14, 2023
Assist in the oversight and administration of Human Resources programs in all functional areas. This position will be fully responsible for onboarding of all level employees, supervising staff in the absence of the Assistant Vice President, providing support in the areas of written correspondence, policies, procedures; planning, developing and coordinating innovative programs that advance the University and providing oversight for the Workday Enterprise System.
- Interpreting and applying Human Resources policies in complex situations and initiating and responding to inquires pertaining to talent acquisition, benefits, employee relations, training and general issues and concerns.
- Implementing and maintaining the onboarding program for all levels of employees. Developing an onboarding program as needed for Adjunct Faculty and Students.
- Work collaboratively with senior leaders, managers and staff to integrate HR programs and processes strategically and operationally to meet the needs of the division and University.
- Overseeing documentation related to staff and the Office of Human Resources e.g. E-Verify, I-9 processing, ensuring that documentation is updated, accurate, for all areas of the office including HR portal pages, updating information and posting and communicating new forms.
- Overseeing and coordinating the Performance Evaluation and Employee Development Plan.
- Overseeing and coordinating the Retirement Plan for faculty and staff at the University. Serving as Retirement Coordinator for Human Resources
- Ensuring that standard operating procedures exist for all areas of the Office of Human Resources.
- Continuing to review Business Processing for the Human Resources and contributing to maximizing the efficiency of office workflow processes.
- Improving and approving human resources transitions, interacts with various internal and external departments to research and resolve concerns.
- Represents the department on various committees, USM work groups.
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting relevant data by using metrics to evaluate HR achievements in the functional areas.
- Serving on the Union Negotiation Team for Management in collaboration with the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources.
- Conducting training for staff and faculty in areas where briefings are needed.
- Troubleshooting concerns brought to the attention of the Office of Human Resources with a focus on Onboarding related concerns.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Human Resources management practices with particular emphasis on functional areas and related federal and state laws and regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, proficiency with human resources enterprise system, Workday preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously, to function independently and with composure under conditions of pressure or uncertainty.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related field required. A Master’s preferred. A minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources Management and supervision. PHR/SPHR preferred. Must have expertise in the functional areas of HR, preferably in a higher education setting. Demonstrated expertise in the planning, organizing, and analyzing the effectiveness of HR business processes.
Conditions of Employment: This is a Non-Union Position. This position will require evening work and occasional local travel. Use of personal or state vehicle for travel may be required. Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations and booster are encouraged but not required for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
SALARY: $100,000 - $120,000
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.