J ob Description:
The Bilingual interpreters are responsible for providing oral interpretation in one or more of the languages listed. They will collaborate with a variety of stakeholders, including representatives from central office departments, offices, and schools to enhance communication with parents and the public during meetings, conferences, and workshops in schools and offices. Interpreters will work on a temporary, hourly basis, with no minimum number of hours of work guaranteed, and will report to the Language Access Manager. They will have a high level of knowledge about the field of interpretation, and experience working specifcally with educational terminology.
Assignments will be at multiple locations, and interpreters must be able to travel independently to assignments (mileage is included in the hourly rate).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional interpretation services to ACPS, both virtual and in-person modalities. Interpreter candidates must be able to fulfill both virtual remote interpreting and in-person interpreting assignments to facilitate language access for parents in schools and offices
- Utilize interpretation equipment to provide professional simultaneous interpretation services
- Ensure that interpretation services are of the highest quality, and equivalent to the communication provided in English
- Work collaboratively with the ACPS Language Access Manager and with other ACPS departments, offices, and schools
- Bachelor's degree preferred OR at least 5-7 years of relevant, professional experience
- Knowledge and understanding of the school division's culturally and linguistically diverse community
- Superior level of oral fluency in English and one of the target languages, and exceptional grammar skills.
- Well-developed skills in spelling, punctuation, syntax, grammar, and pronunciation of academic English and the target language
- Ability to interpret to and from English and the target language without altering the original meaning and intent, and in a variety of educational settings.
- Recent experience using education-specifc terminology and acronyms, including those in specifc fields such as English Learner and Special Education
- Familiarity with laws, policies, programs, and operating procedures found in K-12 educational systems
- Demonstrate appropriate professional appearance and demeanor as representatives of Alexandria City Public Schools
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills to work effectively with diverse stakeholders Knowledge of the latest research and practices in the field of interpretation
- Travel to and from ACPS schools as required
- All applicants will be required to pass the assessment test before the recommendation to hire
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Division-Wide Salary Range:
$35.00 - $35.00 / Per Hour Shift Type: