This is a full-time grant funded position. *Licensed Practical Nurse $5,000 Sign-on BONUS* *
The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing world-class public safety with honor, courage, and a dedication to service. The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office is the largest Sheriff's Office in Virginia with over 600 professional men and women. We serve a population of over 1.1 million citizens in one of the most diverse counties in the nation. We are looking for medical professionals who want to contribute to the outstanding quality of life that Fairfax County residents currently enjoy. Works as a member of the Medical Services Branch located in the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. As an individual and team contributor, provides patients with routine and emergency health care. Duties may include obtaining health histories on newly incarcerated patients and, when necessary, making referrals of patients to the staff physician, nurse practitioner, dentist, mental health professional, or specialist in alcohol and/or drug abuse treatment. Performs care tasks under the authority of and as determined by a Physician, Nurse Practitioner or Registered Nurse.
This position supports the jail-based Medication for Opioid use Disorder Treatment Program, MOUD. Provides routine patient care, care coordination, and supports patient’s activities of daily living. Prepares and administers medications. Utilizes standard screening tools and health measures and refers further assessment requirements to a Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner or Physician. Conducts routine medical and lab tests. Performs other duties as assigned for the Medical Branch of the Sheriff’s Office. Schedule:
The incumbent will be assigned 8.5 hours schedule, will work 20 days per month, equal to 8.75 hours per day for 87.5 hour per pay period. (Day shift from 6:30 am - 7:00 pm Monday through Friday ). The incumbent will receive additional pay, such as night and evening differential, foreign language stipend, holidays, environmental stipend. May receive annual performance increases as allowed by the county budget. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Provides nursing services to individuals and/or families in clinics, ambulatory care centers, offices, or community settings;
- Administers medications and performs treatments;
- Performs appropriate height, weight, and head circumference measurements;
- Performs Snellen (eye chart), Ishihara vision (color), and audio(hearing) testing;
- Administers immunizations under the supervision of a licensed medical practitioner or registered professional nurse;
- Solicits contraindications and medical history prior to each injection;
- Assists in pharmacy organization;
- Performs necessary laboratory tests and/or specimen collections per agency protocol (e.g., venipuncture; finger, foot, and heel stick; blood pressure checks; and urine testing);
- Records and reports testing and specimen collection findings;
- Prepares lab specimens collected for shipment to other labs;
- Maintains a neat clinic area, assuring supply room is properly stocked and organized and that equipment is cleaned, sterilized and maintained in good working order.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of practical nursing skills gained through an accredited practical nursing program;
- Skill in performing technical nursing procedures (e.g., injections, venipuncture, blood pressure screening);
- Ability to identify questionable test findings;
- Ability to perform CPR or perform emergency treatment for life-threatening conditions;
- Ability to elicit sufficient pertinent medical information from a client and record a medical history that is complete and accurate;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with clients and staff members.
Graduation from an accredited Practical Nursing program; plus, two years of experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
2 year/associates degree
4 year/bachelors degree CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of current license or a multistate licensure privilege to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the Commonwealth of Virginia;NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, polygraph exam, and psychological exam to the satisfaction of the employer.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Employee is required to walk, stand, sit, bend, kneel, reach, climb stairs and carry equipment up to 25 pounds in weight.
- Visual acuity is required to read data on a computer monitor.
- Position frequently communicates and must be able to exchange accurate information with others verbally and in writing.
- Uses hands to grasp, handle or feel.
- Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment
- All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov. EEO/AA/TTY.