Alexandria Police Department Police Technology Systems and Data Manager
The City of Alexandria in Northern Virginia shares borders with the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington, and Fairfax counties. Boasting a population of around 160,000 residents and encompassing 15.75 square miles, Alexandria ranks as the Commonwealth of Virginia's seventh largest city. This historic city features a picturesque waterfront and provides a unique place to both reside and work. Notably, a quarter of the city's area holds national or local historic district designation, underscoring our commitment to preserving our rich heritage. We stand proud of our historical roots while eagerly embracing limitless future opportunities. For those interested in contributing to the vibrant community of Alexandria, we encourage eligible candidates to apply for the position of Police Technology Systems and Data Manager. Overview:
Are you enthusiastic about data? Is your passion to provide technology tools and resources for improved operational efficiency? Can you lead and motivate teams effectively? If these resonate with you, contemplate the opportunity of joining the Alexandria Police Department as a Police Technology Systems and Data Manager. You will play an integral role in the Police Department's Technology Services Division, leading the System Operations Section and contributing to the department's technological landscape. Your responsibilities will encompass overseeing the Records Management System, ensuring State/Federal data compliance, managing several ancillary systems and databases, and supervising the Technical Support Unit for user support at the front end. What You Should Bring:
The ideal candidate must possess experience in supporting essential multi-modular software systems and SQL server databases. Effective collaboration with vendors and internal teams is essential for meeting departmental requirements. Clear and concise communication skills are a must across all organizational levels. Moreover, the candidate should leverage their technical expertise and operational awareness to transform business needs into viable technical solutions. The Opportunity (Examples of Work):
The following outlines the responsibilities and roles associated with the position:
About the Department:
- Administering the police department’s extensive records management system, interfacing with various public and law enforcement systems.
- Ensuring adherence to reporting mandates (NIBRS, Community Policing, CALEA).
- Designing and developing sophisticated reports and applications for meaningful data presentation.
- Managing intricate departmental databases housing sensitive information; establishing and enforcing data integrity standards and procedures for reporting; maintaining stringent security measures; ensuring redundancy and high availability.
- Spearheading projects and initiatives for new or existing police technology systems.
- Collaborating with external vendors to implement, enhance, and sustain software systems.
- Engaging with police leadership and other City departments to bolster, upkeep, and optimize departmental technology.
- Providing supervisory leadership and guidance to a small technical team; planning and coordinating complex assignments and projects; offering insights on system development; reviewing work output for accuracy and completeness; monitoring project status and advancement.
- Supervising the Technical Support Unit responsible for addressing user service requests, managing hardware/software inventory, conducting server maintenance, and overseeing system administration.
The City of Alexandria Police Department is a nationally recognized and accredited law enforcement agency providing services to a diverse community. A group of talented professionals, the Alexandria Police Department is a dedicated team of people who, in partnership with the community, work to create and maintain a safe and secure environment for our residents, merchants, and visitors. We are a diverse organization, reflecting Alexandria’s various cultures and offering many different career and promotional opportunities.Minimum & Additional Requirements
Two Year College Degree; extensive progressively responsible information technology experience using a relational database system such as Microsoft SQL Server and/or Oracle, some of which must have been at the level equivalent to a Senior Computer Programmer Analyst, Database Developer or Database Administrator (or other position that required system analysis and design, database development and administration, database application development, and documentation techniques); experience in planning data disaster recovery documentation and testing; experience in database application project development and implementation in a leadership capacity; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.Preferred Qualifications
The ideal candidate should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field, along with a comprehensive understanding of Microsoft SQL Server. A critical requirement is prior experience in supporting a substantial multi-modular software system essential to the organization's mission in the realm of public safety. Demonstrated proficiency in leading, mentoring, and supervising a compact technical team is essential. Additionally, the candidate should have a proven track record in designing intricate technology and software solutions. Their experience should extend to managing technical projects within the law enforcement domain. Furthermore, a strong grasp of information security best practices aligned with system administration is expected. Furthermore, candidates should have a background in planning data disaster recovery documentation and conducting related testing. They should also have participated in database application project development and implementation in leadership capacities. Alternatively, a combination of experience and training that imparts the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities will also be desired. Notes
This position requires the successful completion of the following pre-employment background checks:
- Drug Screen
- Criminal Background Checks (local and federal)