Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations
PERSONNEL STATUS: Regular, Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Office of Financial Aid
OPEN DATE: August 25, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Join a dynamic team of professionals at Bowie State University! Founded in 1865, Bowie State University is the oldest Historically Black College/University in Maryland and one of the ten oldest in the country. Bowie State University is a part of the University System of Maryland and is in the midst of one of the nation’s most exciting metropolitan areas, within easy reach of Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. We are currently seeking a Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations, to provide leadership and strategic direction in oversight of the Financial Aid Office.
The Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations, will report to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, and will oversee all aspects of the compliant administration of federal, state, and institutional financial aid and scholarships, through management of all Peoplesoft (PeSo)/Student Financial Planning Module (SFP) system set up and processing. S/he will be responsible for both routine reporting to senior management, outside agencies, and ad hoc reporting. Ensure compliance with all federal, state and institutional regulations, policies and procedures related to the administration of financial aid as well as ensure the institution fulfills all Title IV compliance requirements. Partner with the Assistant Director with strategic planning; budget development; enrollment management functions, especially those related to access and affordability, emergency preparedness; and statistical data management, including outcomes assessment. Manage PeSo/SFP daily operations with the U.S. Department of Education via the COD system which is the U.S. Department of Education's system for processing and approving all federal aid origination and disbursement records. Serve as the Chief Administrator on the implementation and continual enhancement of all financial aid technology operations. Work closely with the Enrollment Management Business Analyst to manage the PeSo/SFP platforms as it relates to institutional reporting and compliance, FISAP, and FAIS.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily core operations for financial aid services and the management of the PeopleSoft/SFP platforms, including all aspects of importing/exporting financial aid records/data, batch award processing, disbursing, reconciliation, beginning and end of semester/year clean-up processes, and return to Title IV funds.
- Partner with the assistant director with strategic planning and budgeting processes.
- Oversee the set up and implement the PeopleSoft/SFP system for each new academic year.
- Responsible for testing new patches and updates to PeopleSoft/SFP software for the Financial Aid Module.
- Manage all aspects of student eligibility, including evaluation, online processing, all related record keeping, and student notification.
- Provide stewardship of the timely processing and reconciliation of our federal and state- based programs.
- Assist the assistant director as appropriate with the ongoing in-house staff training program and new staff training and with the development of broader professional training.
- Serve on various committees across campus to ensure that federal regulations and expectations are met by the college and that the needs of financial aid students and the impact of various college programs, policies and procedures for this population are considered.
- Work with other Enrollment Services units, Student Accounts and other college units, as appropriate, to resolve student issues.
- Work in collaboration with the assistant director in reviewing, interpreting, and implementing new federal and state laws and regulations.
- Assist with updating the Financial Aid policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain memberships and participates actively in appropriate organizations and attends conferences and regular training sessions.
- Partner with business analyst to address the data requests and reporting as needed.
- Responsible for all FA system-related access requests, both internally and with third party software systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial aid is required with at least two years in a senior leadership role.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to provide strategic direction to the financial aid team.
- Thorough understanding of federal Title IV law and regulations.
- Superior technology knowledge and experience required; specific interest in financial aid- related technology strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service experience, strong organizational skills, and ability to communicate.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Proven ability to multi-task is required to address customer service, personnel, technology, and department specific issues often at the same time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a professional office environment with possible high-stress levels.
- Must have the ability to be flexible to adapt to fluctuating scheduling needs at the front-facing counter, on the phone, and via chat.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills are required.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality of records and information. Many times, referrals are made to this position when other staff or other areas of campus are unable to resolve issues.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by this person in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the incumbent, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision (e.g., other duties as assigned).
Conditions of Employment:
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a due diligence background check and verification of credentials. Proof of US citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986).
Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations are not required but encouraged for all eligible students, faculty, and staff to be employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
This is a non-union position.
Compensation: $105,000 - $115,000
Relocation assistance may be considered.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes vacation days, holidays, and sick days. This also includes tuition remission including eligible dependents; choice of medical/vision plans, CareFirst BC/BS, United Health Care and Kaiser plans, dental, prescription, and life insurance, training and development, Employee Assistance Program; and as eligible, a generous leave package including sick/bereavement, annual, personal; and winter and spring breaks.
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.