The Washington Post is seeking a Front-End Engineer to join our Live News + Article Team. This team works closely with engineering, product, and design to build new features that enhance our reading experience. You'll be responsible for participating in each step of the development lifecycle from development and code review to automated testing and deployments.
We aim to maintain an accessible and performant site. This team will ensure that our vision impaired have the best experience possible on our site, and that those with slow internet connections can experience the Washington Post in an efficient and pleasurable way. We'll be optimizing our performance in search so as to deliver the news to the most readers possible.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will perform technical analysis, design, develop, and enhance applications based on user requirements in a variety of technical environments. You will demonstrate expertise in a broad range of related technologies, provide guidance to other team members, and participates in setting Engineering's development standards and best practices. You will also be involved in very large and complex assignments.
- Gather business and technical requirements by working closely with clients and others within Engineering.
- Evaluate, assess, design and develop high-level solutions to meet these requirements by gaining in-depth knowledge of the supported business areas, understanding and analyzing current system functionality and following established development methodologies and standards.
- Perform data modeling and design.
- Identify detailed characteristics of solution design and write detailed specifications when appropriate.
- Research available technologies outside of the company and recommend appropriate design solutions.
- Plan, develop and conduct unit testing; assist in planning and conducting other testing (e.g., integration, system, etc.).
- Provide timely and effective maintenance support and problem resolution for existing systems by collaborating and coordinating with vendors and others.
- Perform impact assessment on all system/application changes as needed; ensure clear understanding of implications of technical choices made and follow appropriate change management and control procedures.
- Maintain documentation of production problems and their solutions.
- As a member of the project team, contribute to project scope definition activities, provide input to project plan development, prototype high-risk project tasks, and advise on complex technical issues
- Successfully carry out assignments that are technically very large or complex or have extensive or complex business implications.
- Assist in establishing standards. Guide and mentors others. Perform code reviews.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
- Bachelor's degree preferred; focus in computer science, engineering, business or related technical field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant technical professional experience required including 2 or more years in a software development role.
- Strong analytical, evaluation, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop solutions by applying relevant technologies and ensuring maintainability, extensibility and code reuse.
- Knowledge of testing and quality assurance practices including unit testing and code documentation.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to deliver quality solutions within established timelines.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow