Social Media Strategist
The American Enterprise Institute (AEI) is seeking a full-time, in-person strategist with 1–3 years of digital experience who will shape AEI’s social media messaging and expand the audience for AEI scholars’ ideas. We are looking for a creative thinker and politically savvy communicator who will seize the opportunity to help transform the nation’s political and policy debates online.
Responsibilities include creating a daily stream of content for AEI’s Twitter and Instagram platforms based on scholars’ new products and the news cycle. The strategist will also work to shape the AEI president’s social media presence.
Strong candidates will be immersed in political and policy news and social media and be ready to look for opportunities to insert AEI’s scholarship into the national conversation. Candidates should thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment where they will work within a group of other high-performing professionals to develop creative, crosscutting media strategies.
- Oversee the overall strategy and voice of AEI’s social media accounts.
- Write daily copy for AEI’s main Twitter and Instagram platforms.
- Create graphics and charts for use on social media.
- Use social media to effectively promote large AEI projects, books, reports, op-eds, and blogs.
- Identify opportunities for AEI scholars based on media and social media monitoring.
- Work effectively with the rest of the media team to disseminate scholar ideas, pushing out content to both media and social media audiences.
- Work with the office of the president on the AEI president’s social media presence.
- Collaboratively work with other AEI communications teams, including video, design, and digital as needed to promote scholar work.
- Suggest social media strategies to AEI scholars and confidently work with scholars to promote their work on various platforms.
- Analyze metrics of success for AEI strategies on social media and regularly report back to media team and senior leadership.
Physical requirements and working conditions at AEI:
- The employee is regularly expected to stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer, telephone, and keyboard. This job requires close vision abilities due to computer work.
- The employee must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at times.
- The employee must be able to work in a confined area.
- Moderate noise (e.g., from computers, phone, printers, and light traffic) is expected.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities associated with this position.
- A bachelor’s degree in a public policy–related field, such as government, political science, history, international affairs, or economics is preferred.
- 1–3 years of previous full-time work experience or internship experience is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working on digital campaigns and shaping social media strategy is required.
- Candidate must:
- Be skilled at distilling complex topics into clear and engaging social media content.
- Understand current events and politics.
- Have a natural affinity for using social media.
- Be experienced with software required to make graphics and clip videos.
- Work well within a team and with other departments.
- Understand the technical requirements of an innovative social media strategy and be able to use, or learn to use, necessary software.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.