Computer Aided Dispatch
The City of Alexandria is in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for Computer Aided Dispatch
(CAD) Administrator -Information Technology Services (ITS) - position
The work of this position involves department-wide responsibility for planning, coordinating, and implementing the various management information systems (including mainframe and network systems) used by a major department. Included are systems such as Alexandria Permit Plans System (APPS), DOT Para-transit Information System, Personal Property Tax System, Business License Tax System, Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD), Payroll System and other similar systems having related program specific automated information systems. The ITS - CAD Coordinator analyzes the department's current and long-range information technology needs, develop or modify specifications to meet those needs, evaluate the current systems and ensure the system's effectiveness and accuracy in relation to overall departmental program management needs, and represent the department before state and federal information systems officials. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Deputy Director.What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate should have thorough knowledge of data processing methods, equipment types, applications, management principles, policies and system design approaches used in management information systems; good knowledge of departmental management information systems and related work processes; good knowledge of mainframe and microcomputer based systems, and of the methods and procedures used in operating those systems; skill in detecting, tracing and eliminating mistakes in computer programs; ability to coordinate and work effectively with key officials and employees. Excellent communication and negotiation skills are needed.The Opportunity
About the Department
- Serves as the system administrator for the City's Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system utilized by all public safety agencies.
- Serves as department representative on all Information Technology (IT) and Telecom issues, as well as serve on City Wide IT Task Forces and City ITS Steering Committee which govern City IT policies and strategies.
- Identifies, conceptualizes, and creates video based in-house training and public education/outreach projects.
- Plans, develops, administers, and manages enterprise software applications and databases.
- Plans, develops, establishes, and administers guidelines and operational policies governing department wide office systems, hardware, and telecom equipment.
- Plans, develops, executes, and administers department wide IT training for staff.
- Initiates contracts, monitors, and interacts with contractors and vendors for compliance.
- Troubleshoots Telecom problems to include Cellular service.
- Serves as department Emergency Preparedness representative.
- Conceives and implements new initiatives and projects to strengthen, facilitate and integrate programs to improve department processes and methods.
- Provides integrated staff management oversight, supervision, and network management.
- Ensures that essential training and departmental operations are communicated throughout the department, enhancing safety and operational readiness.
- Plans, prepares, develops, and administers department's IT and Telecom budget.
- Coordinates services with City's ITS, General Services departments as well as others.
- Provides support at the various department offices and in the field as needed.
- Coordinates and conducts training for users on city and departmental systems, develops training materials and lesson plans to ensure commensurate levels of computer literacy that result in the fullest utilization of available systems and equipment.
- Prepares project proposals (including project plans, charters, and budget requests) for the implementation of new systems and upgrades to existing systems.
- Participates in strategic planning processes/committees.
- Performs related work as required.
The Department of Emergency and Customer Communications (DECC) ensures the effective delivery of routine and emergency calls for service to the City of Alexandria public safety departments. Our highly trained staff of professionals always strives to provide the best service possible to the public. Our employees are the most dedicated you will find anywhere, going above and beyond the call of duty to serve. Alexandria's 9-1-1 center is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA). Alexandria's 9-1-1 center is one of only eight in Virginia to hold such accreditation. If you would like to review more about our department, please click the following link Emergency and Customer Communications .Minimum & Additional Requirements
Two Year College Degree; working knowledge of City information management systems and previous experience providing technical support or training to end users; at least three (3) years of experience in analysis of departmental activities and functions, and in the design of systems for accomplishing work through computer and telecommunications technology; completion of college-level courses in computer science, information management, accounting, and/or business administration or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Requires management/supervisory skills and customer support relationship skills, ability to interface with higher management as well as outside department vendors and agencies in support of department technology needs.Preferred Qualifications
Four Year College Degree; at least three (3) years of experience in project management, accessing methods, equipment types, applications, management principles, policies and system design approaches used in management information systems; at least three (3) years of experience in departmental management information systems and related work processes; and three years of experience in Computer Aided Dispatch system (CAD).Notes
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment checks and medical testing including but not limited to a criminal history records check, fingerprinting, drug screening, vision and hearing exam, psychological and polygraph testing.