The Career and Transition Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating Career and
Transition Planning and Services for students with disabilities in grades K-12, with a
concentration on students ages 14-22. The Career and Transition Coordinator will be
responsible for training staff on development of appropriate IEP transition plans, and monitoring plans to ensure they include appropriate measurable postsecondary goals based upon age appropriate transition assessments related to training, education, employment, and where appropriate, independent living skills; and transition services (including courses of study) needed to assist the child in reaching those goals. Individual will be responsible for ensuring Transition Services include instruction, related services, community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives, and, if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and functional vocational evaluation.Qualifications:Education:
Master's Degree in EducationCertificates & Licenses:
Valid Virginia Department of Education license required, or
eligibility to obtain one, with endorsements in one or more areas of Special Education
Five years teaching in special education programs required. Two years of
experience providing or supporting career and transition services preferred.Key Competencies:
- Demonstrated competencies and knowledge in the principles and practices of career and transition planning.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and strong interpersonal skills, including providing and receiving constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues, community agencies and businesses to create and nurture a professional community for career and transition programming in ACPS.
- Demonstrated understanding of special education procedures and policies.
- Demonstrated leadership and personal qualities necessary to work effectively with teachers, administrators, city agency leaders, and the public.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of colleagues, parents, families, and community members.
- Manages ACPS Career and Transition Planning and Programming including: early learner self-advocacy programs, IEP transition plans, career and transition coursework, career exploration, and post-secondary education planning.
- Responsible for all VDOE State Performance Plan Transition and Post Secondary Outcomes Indicator reporting (Indicators 13 and 14).
- Coordinates development of classes and transition programs that teach workplace readiness skills, employability skills, self-advocacy, and self-determination; instruction in career education in a variety of community settings and businesses; and instruction in applied academics, self-advocacy and independent living skills.
- Coordinates development and implementation of a comprehensive work-based learning program which includes a range of experiences to help students form a career plan; planned experiences with links to classroom instruction; ongoing assessment and support from employers and instructional staff; choice of work experiences; and clear outcomes linked to career planning.
- Develops and conducts training on the development of appropriate IEP transition plans for students with disabilities, including data from appropriate transition assessments and development of appropriate post-secondary goals.
- Collaborates with staff in city agencies, including Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and the Community Services Board (CSB), to develop and implement programming and planning which supports student post-secondary outcomes.
- Collaborates with school-based administrators to ensure implementation of career and transition programming.
- Coordinates relevant professional learning opportunities for special education staff.
- Monitors implementation of Career and Transition Programming in schools and the community.
- Develops collegial relationships with community partners, businesses, teachers and administrators in order to foster positive post-secondary outcomes for students with disabilities.
- Researches and disseminates information related to best practices in Career and Transition Programming to teachers and staff.
- Assesses classroom and community program needs to assist in planning and purchase of instructional materials for Career and Transition courses and programs.
- Serves as ACPS representative to various community forums, regional meetings an VDOE sponsored events related to Career and Transition Programming.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Skin Test
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: