Adventist HealthCare seeks to hire an experienced Certified Surgical Assistant for the Operating Room who will embrace our mission to extend God's care through the ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing.
As the Surgical Assistant you will:
• Provides visualization of the operative site by: Appropriate placement and securing of retractors; packing with sponges and/ or lap. Packs; Manipulation of tissues; suctioning, sponging and /or irrigating, that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient
• Utilizes appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis by: Permanent: Clamping and /or cauterizing vessels or tissue; tying and /or ligating clamped vessels or tissues; applying hemostatic clips; Placing local hemostatic agents.
• Assist the OR team in setting up the operating room for surgical procedures, collaborates with the surgical team in selecting the appropriate equipment and positioning devices for the surgery.
• Anticipates additional instrument and supplies needed during the procedure.
• Collaborates with the surgical team when positioning the patient making certain the body is in proper alignment, pressure points are padded, circulation and nerve impingement are not compromised and the position provides exposure for the surgical procedure and anesthesia access.
• Follows surgeon position preferences and well as patient comfort and safety.
• Anticipates surgeon's/physicians moves in an expeditious manner.
• Closes body planes utilizing appropriate techniques.
• Applies appropriate wound dressings: liquid, spray, absorbent material and immobilization dressings.
• Introduces self to the patient and answers any questions that may arise or directs questions to the
licensed personnel who may be able to provide answers.
• Works collaboratively with the surgical team to expedite safe surgical care.
• Transports patient to the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) with the assistance of the anesthesia
• Assist in prepping the OR for the next patient.
• Formal working knowledge; equivalent to as Associate's degree; requires knowledge of a specialized field
• 3-5 years of experience
• Certification conferred by ABSA, NBSTSA or NSSA
• Graduate of CAAHEP Surgical Assistant program recognized by US Dept. Of Ed.
• Initial Certification CSFA, CSA or SA-C
• American Heart Association CPR Certification. ACLS preferred. Obtain in first year
• Maintain mandated Certification competencies & CEU's.
• Cert. conferred by NBSTSA, ABSA or NSSA
Full time Day Shift M-F; weekends required, call time required
#GR8AlliedHealthcareAt Adventist HealthCare our job is to care for you.
We do this by offering:
- Work life balance through nonrotating shifts
- Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Free Employee parking
- Benefits Eligible Positions:
- Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans [including health, employer-paid disability and life insurance, PTO]
- Employer retirement contribution and match after 1-year of eligible employment with 3 year vesting
- Ancillary benefits such as flexible spending, legal and pet insurance to meet the needs of employees and their eligible family members
- Subsidized childcare at participating childcare centers
As a faith-based organization, with over a century of caring for the communities in the Maryland area, Adventist HealthCare has earned a reputation for high-quality, compassionate care. Adventist HealthCare was the first and is the largest healthcare provider in Montgomery County.
If you want to make a difference in someone's life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
Join the Adventist HealthCare team today, apply now to be considered! COVID-19 Vaccination
Adventist HealthCare requires all applicants to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before commencing employment. Applicants may be required to furnish proof of vaccination and, if needed, may elect to be vaccinated at any community pharmacy or location offering COVID-19 vaccinations.Tobacco and Drug Statement
Tobacco use is a well-recognized preventable cause of death in the United States and an important public health issue. In order to promote and maintain a healthy work environment, Adventist HealthCare will not hire applicants for employment who either state that they are nicotine users or who test positive for nicotine and drug use.
While some jurisdictions, including Maryland, permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes, marijuana continues to be classified as an illegal drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act. As a result, medical marijuana use will not be accepted as a valid explanation for a positive drug test result.
Adventist HealthCare will withdraw offers of employment to applicants who test positive for Cotinine (nicotine) and marijuana. Those testing positive are given the opportunity to re-apply in 90 days, if they can truthfully attest that they have not used any nicotine products in the past ninety (90) days and successfully pass follow-up testing. ("Nicotine products" include, but are not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, vaping products, hookah, and nicotine replacement products (e.g., nicotine gum, nicotine patches, nicotine lozenges, etc.). Equal Employment Opportunity
Adventist HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to attracting, engaging, and developing the best people to cultivate our mission-centric culture. Our goal is to have a welcoming, equitable, and safe place to work and grow for all employees, no matter their background. AHC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and related medical conditions, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Adventist HealthCare will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Adventist HealthCare is a religious organization as defined under applicable law; however, it will endeavor to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants' religious beliefs.
Applicants who wish to request accommodations for disabilities or religious belief should contact the Support Center HR Office.