Manager, Network Edge Manager
Position title: Manager, Network Edge Manager
Position #: 111548
The University of Maryland’s Edge Networking Team is responsible for monitoring, managing and ensuring high availability of the University’s edge network infrastructure in a 24×7×365 environment. The Network Edge Team triages incoming incidents from the service desk via the ServiceNow ticketing system, messaging systems (email, Webex), phones and tools, and resolves the issue to restore operational state.
This position is responsible for managing the team maintaining all edge network devices. Maintenance includes resolving hardware issues, upgrading code as necessary, diagnosing and resolving network performance issues.
The position will also manage the planning, coordinating, and implementing of network infrastructure changes. The Network Edge team promotes cohesiveness and team work and this position will require the ability to promote teamwork and unity. There will be times where independent work is necessary as well. Project management skills are also a requirement. The manager will be expected to be the project lead for group projects. This includes meeting with the stakeholders, gathering requirements, pulling in resources within the team and outside in order to coordinate the work, and oversee the implementation of the project. Documentation is a critical tool for the Network Edge team. This position will manage the maintenance of network infrastructure documents and diagrams to update as needed.
This position requires the mentoring of junior network engineering staff and serves as an escalation resource.
The manager will be expected to perform other duties as assigned, including managing network resources such as installed fiber, and enhancing network infrastructure monitoring.
This position requires on-call weekend or overnight hours for problem resolution or maintenance in support of the University’s main campus and satellite offices. This position requires a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 7 years experience providing support to network operations either as a network engineer or technical team lead, including 2 years experience as a team lead or supervisor in enterprise data networks.
- Experience working in an enterprise environment with routers, access switches, firewalls,
- and VPNs.
- Experience using enterprise Network Management Systems applications (Paessler PRTG,
- Broadcom Spectrum, Cisco Prime, SolarWinds, etc.).
- Experience with network services tools (Infoblox, BlueCat, etc.).
- Experience with providing coverage for a network support environment, troubleshooting, administration systems including, trouble ticketing system, network management system.
- Experience with Cisco and Palo Alto firewalls and VPNs.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively including good written and oral communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Must have ability to perform and manage complex and time-critical tasks with optimum effectiveness and efficiency, often in high-pressure situations.
- Technical knowledge of and experience working with current hardware including: Cisco and Aruba routers and switches.
- Well-developed organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a driver’s license valid in the State of Maryland and operate a motor vehicle.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT related field.
- Technical knowledge of and experience working with current hardware including: Infoblox DNS, DHCP, IPAM (DDI).
- Network Access Control solutions.
- APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS).
- Monitoring tools including Cisco, Aruba, Paessler, SolarWinds.
- Experience with higher education networks.
- Network certification (CCNA, CCNP, ACSA, etc.) -
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more
Salary range: $133,000-$143,0000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
- Not Applicable to This Position
- Ability to travel to a remote location for support or implementation of services.
- Ability to walk to campus buildings needing service.
- Ability to lift moderately heavy objects such as network switches. Ability to install networking equipment that includes climbing ladders, lifting network equipment, working with hand tools, and accessing mechanical rooms.
- Ability to be on-call, and provide off-hour support which may include traveling to the University or other campus locations.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Willingness to work different shifts in a 24 hour period.
Best consideration date: 06/24/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/108049
- Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.