Department Marketing Statement Do you want to have a lasting impact on connecting communities in the Washington DC region? Metro's Capital Delivery- Infrastructure Department is recruiting a Manager, Project Estimating and Scheduling . Capital projects scheduling program support s $2.0B annual Capital Improvement Program portfolio. This senior role interacts extensively with WMATA internal and external stakeholders to ensure the development of realistic project schedule(s) throughout the various project phases, lead a team of experienced schedulers, perform/ review various types of schedules and time impact analyses, perform schedule risk analysis, and lead the update and enhancement of the Integrated Enterprise Project Portfolio Schedule. The position reports to the Senior Program Manager Estimation & Scheduling. The Scheduling Manger advise s on industry best practices, emerging trends and risks, and supports successful implementation of the Capital Program. G uide and assign scheduling tasks to the team effectively to ensure high quality and timely delivery of various scheduling reports. P rovide clear and concise senior level reporting, deconflict issues and develop actionable solutions, manage the development of guidance documents and presentations. Technical familiarity with program scheduling, forensic schedule analysis, construction practices, scheduling teams' management, planning and scheduling methods, Primavera software implementation, and monthly progress reporting are core requirements. Prefer red candidates w ill have experience in Heavy Construction/ Transportation/Transit. Bring your extensive background in construction planning, scheduling, coordination, and management; and join our team as we tackle Metro's largest capital improvement program. WMATA offers a competitive salary, a rich benefit package which includes health, dental, life insurance, paid holidays, annual and sick leave, a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and a 401a Plan, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and free transportation on Metrobus and rail. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction, Technology or related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree a High School Diploma/GED or a post high school training or certification (e.g. PMP certification) related to project management and four (4) years of construction experience in infrastructure projects, in addition to the experience stated below, will be considered.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in administration and/or oversight of estimating, or scheduling projects, or staff.
- Demonstrated estimating or /scheduling experience on several large, complex construction projects.
- Project Management
- Scheduling Technology
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. SUMMARY
The Manager Project Estimating and Scheduling is responsible for managing a staff of engineers engaged in preparing independent cost estimates and or developing, maintaining and updating project and program schedules. The incumbent is responsible for implementing and enforcing WMATA procedures, standards and guidelines for independent cost estimates and for developing and implementing departmental scheduling procedures, standards, and guidelines. This position leads the performance of a technical staff, manages team deliverables, performs gap analysis, implements process improvements, and presents reports for managers, directors and stakeholders. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Manages and provides guidance to the estimating and scheduling staff to include establishing and maintaining estimating and scheduling procedures and standards.
- Reviews cost analyses, estimates, and schedules prepared by project offices to ensure that the work products reasonably reflect the planned work. Provides, as required, consultative services to contract negotiating teams prior to and during negotiations with vendors.
- Leads the delivery of estimating and scheduling services for a wide group of stakeholders in support of project and program procurement, planning and execution. Stakeholders include offices throughout WMATA and occasionally outside projects under adjacent construction.
- Champions the use of accepted industry standards and guidelines for estimating and scheduling work throughout the construction project lifecycle.
- Optimizes staff efficiency and the quality of the work product by facilitating the automation of the estimating and scheduling processes within the limits of the resources available.
- Serves as a vital resource on construction project procurement, implementation and change management activities, predicting and controlling costs and providing the basis of WMATA's position on negotiations for construction and engineering contracts.
- Facilitates staff training related to construction industry costing trends and or scheduling practices to ensure the estimating and scheduling staff maintains state-of-the-art knowledge and capabilities in areas relevant to their assigned responsibilities.
- Meets regularly with WMATA project teams and stays well informed about upcoming project needs for estimating and or scheduling support.
The functions listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- May develop and maintain a cost estimating information system including, a centralized database for a full range of construction and engineering functions within the WMATA Transportation System. May establish, publish, and or maintain WMATA-wide standards and guidelines for the preparation of project estimates, analyses, and / or schedules.
- May coordinate, as needed, with the Office of Inspector General and the Office of Procurement to ensure that estimating and scheduling policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines are in conformance with regulatory and internal requirements.
- May act in the role Technical Resource (COTR) or task manager on a given procurement contract.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.