Dewberry is currently seeking a motivated Senior Environmental Scientist
to join our Fairfax, VA
office . This is an excellent career advancement opportunity for an enthusiastic and talented individual and includes flexible work hours and the ability for part-time telework. This full-time opening will provide the applicant with the opportunity to work as a part of a highly collaborative team in all facets of the environmental services including wetland science, regulatory permitting, NEPA documentation, and compliance in the mid-Atlantic region. Typical projects involve private, locality, state, and federal agency clients in the transportation market and environmental permitting for land development projects. The successful candidate will be heavily involved in project management, staff professional development, growth, mentoring, training, and quality management. The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years of experience working in the environmental and natural resources field.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
- Assist with environmental department management including developing project staffing plans to ensure successful project delivery.
- Provide mentorship and support for junior staff, including reviewing work for accuracy and clarity and providing constructive feedback and career development guidance.
- Assist team members with fieldwork, technical reports, technical reports, agency coordination/concurrence, and quality control.
- Lead multi-faceted projects in collaboration with scientists, engineers, and subconsultants on large and complex projects.
- Assist with or oversee the preparation of proposals/pursuits, providing technical input, contributing to proposal writing, and engaging with pursuit teams.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, challenging environment and be able to balance multiple responsibilities and deadlines.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- 8-10 years of applicable experience and project management experience.
- BS in Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Wildlife Biology, or a related field.
- Environmental certifications including Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD), Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS), ISA Certified Arborist, or similar certification is required.
- Proficiency with ArcMap/GIS, AutoCAD and MicroStation is preferred.
- Capability to execute and coordinate environmental permitting and environmental assessment activities with internal/external clients and regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge of Virginia and Maryland environmental regulations and permitting, regulation submittals, wetland or environmental design, and a NEPA background is preferred.
- Local and occasional statewide travel and a clean driving record are required.
Don't meet every single requirement? At Dewberry we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace for our employee's. So if you're excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the position description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other opportunities.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*All recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.