Senior Software Engineer #5433
Senior Software Engineer #5433
Pay Band: SAA-10 - $98000-$146992
Remote Work Status: Remote / FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date Range: 5/22/2023-6/5/2023
This vacancy announcement closes at 7pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
This is senior professional and technical programming work analyzing, designing, developing, implementing and maintaining applications supporting the Senate. Work includes extensive user contact to collect user requirements when defining overall system requirements. Work includes system analysis and design, programming, and conducting program and system testing. The incumbent must determine the tools and methods to employ in planning, designing and modeling the application. Work in this classification is distinguished from the Software Engineer by its level of system expertise, lead assignments, ability to work independently, interactions with users, and development and implementation of Senate-wide systems. Work is performed under the general direction of a Manager.
Examples of Work
Analyzes user requirements to design system components and functional specifications; prepares detailed program design specifications; delivers data and system requirements for major or critical Senate systems. Analyzes programs, data, and procedures affected by system modifications or additions. Troubleshoots programming and database malfunctions; analyzes malfunctions and takes appropriate corrective action (often in a time-sensitive situation). Leads a software development project team in applications development, implementing and testing applications; prepares implementation schedules for assigned applications/subsystems. Installs applications on user workstations. Performs system deployments for new releases; performs system maintenance; researches and performs upgrades; researches and develops prototypes of systems in different products. Monitors existing systems; makes and implements enhancements to improve the efficiency of program operations and user information needs. Modifies programs to correct program errors previously undetected. Designs and programs database applications. Designs and prepares test data and conducts program and system testing and debugging. Develops and implements procedures for quality assurance, testing and configuration management. Provides technical support to users, support vendors and other technical staff; monitors contact with users and contact support of existing systems and new systems development.0. Prepares and maintains analysis and program documentation. Creates, develops, modifies, instructs and provides technical assistance on business continuity plans and processes.
The U.S. Senate seeks a Senior Software Engineer to design, implement, develop, configure, maintain, and administer applications within the ServiceNow platform. You will work with customers and end-users to understand their business objectives, current
architecture, and security requirements.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
The Senior Software Engineer position serves on the Administrative Systems team, supporting a mix of custom and COTS applications, including the following: alerts, identity and access, time and attendance, parking, asset management, ServiceNow, and technology catalog.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Configure ServiceNow out-of-box functionality to meet customer requirements.
- Create and maintain forms, reports, views, workflows, groups, and roles.
- Create, support, and enhance dashboards and reporting, including scheduled reports.
- Assist with ServiceNow upgrades.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Participate in refining and analyzing customer requirements, user story development, research, testing, and implementation using Agile practices.
- Provide recommendations for ServiceNow best practices.
- Provide technical support for the resolution of system problems encountered in ServiceNow.
- Assist with the design, creation, and cataloging of business process flows.
- Develop and maintain system documentation (i.e., user guides, procedures, communication of enhancements and bugs)
- Assist with coordinating software system installations, ensuring all equipment functions correctly and meets operational standards.
- Ensure that all software development and modifications undergo thorough quality control.
- Employ Agile Scrum best practices in development activities.
- Interact with the customer to address technical considerations and associated problems, issues, or conflicts.
- Work with representatives from departments to identify and anticipate process improvement opportunities and develop potential solutions.
- Performing other duties as assigned
Work requires a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, management information systems or a related field, and five to eight years of experience in developing software applications; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Knowledge of programming languages, data structures, and utilities and software packages for software development.
- Knowledge of structured and object-oriented engineering analyses, programming techniques and design methodologies.
- Knowledge of diagramming, flow charting, detailed analysis and program documentation writing.
- Ability to lead a team or critical systems development/support assignment.
- Ability to prepare and check structured and object-oriented programs.
- Ability to resolve program and system problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- 3+ years experience working with implementing and supporting the following ServiceNow platform features/functions, including:
o Service Catalog
o Service Portal
o KPI, Reports, and Dashboards
- Ability to work in an Agile team environment
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to pay close attention to detail on varied tasks
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with other team members, development staff, customers, consultants, and management
- Ability to work with little supervision to complete project tasks; possess initiative to address issues already)
- Ability to provide helpful, tactful, and professional technical assistance to users
- Ability to work under tight schedules to meet deadlines
- Experience utilizing Oracle, SQL Server, .NET, and Java
- Experience developing system interfaces (e.g., APIs, SOA, RESTFUL, JSON)
- Experience with custom application development.
- Experience with Agile and Scrum methodologies and participating in the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Experience with requirements management (GitLab experience a plus)
- Experience with the following ServiceNow applications: HR, ITOM, ITAM, ITBM, and CSM
- Experience creating quick proofs-of-concept for the customer
- Experience coordinating between cross-functional teams
- ServiceNow certification, including Certified Application Developer, Certified System Administrator
- Familiarity with UI and UX design and usability principles
- Understanding of ITIL foundation or ITIL certified
Physical Demands and Working Environment
Work requires sitting and operating a computer for extended periods, with occasional standing, climbing, pulling and safely lifting up to 25 pounds. May occasionally work evenings or weekends to resolve problems or handle incidents.
Licenses, Certification and Other Requirements
Professional certification(s) may be required. This position may require the incumbent to be available for sudden recall in response to emergency events affecting the Senate campus/community, which may include after-hour or weekend work, and to potentially deploy to alternate sites in support of the Senate’s contingency operations. This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance. For education requirements please see Minimum Qualifications.
Conditions of Employment
To be employed by a Senate employing office in a paid position in the continental United States an individual must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen;
2. Be lawfully admitted for permanent residence and seeking citizenship as outlined in 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3)(B);
3. Be (i) admitted as a refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157 or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1158 and (ii) have filed a declaration of intention to become a lawful permanent resident and then a citizen when eligible; or
4. Owe allegiance to the U.S. (i.e., qualify as a non-citizen U.S. national under federal law).
Employment is contingent on background / security investigation results.
The SAA provides a highly competitive benefits package for all SAA staff. Our benefits extend beyond health care coverage to help provide employees with student loan reimbursement, professional development, transportation subsidy, TSP/retirement savings, access to our Employee Assistance Program, and more! For more information regarding SAA’s benefits, please visit https://sen.gov/OPPW .
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the SAA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAA and need special assistance or an accommodation to complete the application process, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org email with “Accommodation” in the subject line.
VOLUNTARY SELF-IDENTIFICATION FOR VETERANS' PREFERENCE
If you are identifying as veterans' preference eligible under the VEOA, please use this link to complete your application for Veterans' Preference AFTER you apply for this position. The link will also be available on the "Thank You" page after you have submitted your job application.
Candidates only need to apply one time for veterans’ preference to be considered for all future veterans’ preference positions within the Senate Sergeant at Arms.
- All supporting documents must ONLY be provided within the Veterans’ Preference Application and within the stated deadline of the job announcement.
- Late applications for veterans’ preference will not be considered.
- Documentation to obtain veterans’ preference will not be considered if attached to the job application.
- If you need to revise or resubmit your Application for Veterans' Preference/documents, please withdraw your previous Application for Veterans' Preference and resubmit. If you require assistance, please email email@example.com.
- To view additional information regarding the VEOA, please click here .
An applicant who declines to self-identify as a disabled veteran and/or to provide information and documentation regarding his/her disabled veteran’s status will not be subjected to an adverse employment action, but the individual may be ruled ineligible for veterans’ preference.