Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.Job Summary
Westat has an immediate opening for a Lead Research Associate to join our team of leading researchers in our behavioral health and health policy practice. You will be supporting projects that address the needs of individuals with behavioral health conditions.
As a Lead Research Associate you will support and lead projects that focus on a variety of behavioral health conditions and address the needs of individuals with substance use and mental health conditions.
In this role, you will work closely with project leadership and multi-disciplinary project teams. These teams will be both internal and external to Westat and they will translate science into practice and provide resources for diverse audiences including federal and state agency partners, and provider and consumer organizations. Your research and subject matter expertise will enable you to consult on behavioral health issues as needed with researchers within and outside of Westat to contribute to peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports based on your project work.
Additional substantive opportunities include work on behavioral health program evaluation, mental health and substance use services research, health equity, social determinants of health, and opioids.Job Responsibilities
• Support day-to-day operations of complex behavioral health research projects including project management, evaluation research, data collection/data management, data analysis, report writing and manuscript preparation.
• Assist with operationalizing project scope, goals, and deliverables.
• Collaborate with team leads to develop and implement methods to monitor the effectiveness of processes, protocols, and procedures.
• Provide direction and support to evaluations, technical assistance, and training contracts.
• Participate in business development with networks of internal and external staff on proposals and projects from a variety of federal agencies, states, and foundations.
• Lead or support qualitative or quantitative data analysis.
• Participate in presentations at conferences and other meetings.Basic Qualifications
• A Master's degree in public health, behavioral health, social sciences, or analytical methods with 2-4 years relevant experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes; and experience with quantitative or qualitative research; or a PhD and 1-3 years of post-doctoral experience; experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes; and experience with quantitative or qualitative research.
• Experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes.
• Experience with quantitative or qualitative research.Preferred Qualifications
• Experience in behavioral health research.
• Experience writing technical reports (such as literature reviews, study plans, methodology reports, summaries of research findings) or contributing to peer-review journal articles.Other Required Qualifications
• Demonstrated communication skills.
• Collaboration with teams, managers and/or clients.
• Organization skills, including time management ability.
• Detail oriented.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (15 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.