Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat has an immediate opening for a Senior Research Associate to join our team of leading researchers and evaluators in our behavioral health and health policy practice. As a Senior Research Associate, you will support and lead projects that focus on a variety of behavioral health conditions and address the needs of individuals with substance use and mental health conditions.
In this role, you will work closely with project leadership and multi-disciplinary project teams. These teams will be both internal and external to Westat and they will translate science into practice and provide resources for diverse audiences including federal and state agency partners, and provider and consumer organizations. You will collaborate with staff on projects and provide direction, management and support to projects that include evaluations, technical assistance, social science research, and training contracts. Additional substantive opportunities include work on program evaluations, mental health and substance use services research, health equity, social determinants of health, and opioids.
Your research and evaluation expertise will enable you to consult on behavioral health issues as needed with researchers within and outside of Westat and contribute to peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports based on your project work. You will work with senior management team members on business development activities and proposals from a variety of federal agencies, states, and foundations and be available to consult on technical issues as needed.Job Responsibilities
• Manage day-to-day operations of complex behavioral health research projects including project management, evaluation research, data collection, management, analysis and presentation, report writing, and manuscript preparation.
• Lead or contribute to all stages of federal contract acquisition and management, as appropriate.
• Lead or support federal contracts that require evaluation, dissemination, technical expert panels, policy analyses, and technical assistance and training, as appropriate.
• Supervise staff and interact with subcontractors and clients.
• Take a role in operationalizing project scope, goals, and deliverables.
• Lead on qualitative or quantitative data analysis, interpretation, and write up findings for multiple audiences.
• Lead on the development and presentation of research findings at conferences and other meetings.
• Contribute to publications based on project evaluations.
• Participate in business development with networks of internal and external staff on proposals and projects from a variety of federal agencies, states, and foundations.Basic Qualifications
• Master's degree in public health, behavioral health, evaluation, a social science discipline or analytical methods with 6 or more years of relevant experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes; and experience with quantitative or qualitative research; or a PhD and 2-4 of post-doctoral experience; experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes; and experience with quantitative or qualitative research.
• Experience with federal contracts project management and proposal processes.
• Experience with quantitative or qualitative research.Preferred Qualifications
• Experience with research, and evaluations design and implementation.
• Experience with data analysis.
• Experience writing technical reports (such as literature reviews, study plans, methodology reports, summaries of research findings) or contributing to peer-review journal articles.
• Experience in behavioral health conditions research.Other Required Qualifications
• Demonstrated communication skills.
• Collaboration with teams, managers and/or clients.
• Organization skills, including time management ability.
• Detail oriented.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.